Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DR JBS Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2014, 01:14 PM
    Pharmacist
    Patient wants to have a second party pick up their medication from a pharmacy. Does the pharmacy need a signed HIPPA release form to allow this? If so, where can I get the necessary form?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 21, 2014, 01:30 PM
    **Yes, the person needs to sign a HIPAA form. The pharmacy has the form. That was my experience.**

I Googled this and found that the pharmacist can use his best judgment to allow a friend or family member to pick up the med without the patient's signature.

Our nifty medical experts will see this and weigh in.

Oct 21, 2014, 02:22 PM
    You answered the first part of the question.

Part 2 is... I am the pharmacy/pharmacist. Where do I get a copy of the form that the patient must sign for authorizing the patients representative to pick up his or her medication?

Oct 21, 2014, 02:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    **Yes, the person needs to sign a HIPAA form. The pharmacy has the form. That was my experience.**

I Googled this and found that the pharmacist can use his best judgment to allow a friend or family member to pick up the med without the patient's signature.

Our nifty medical experts will see this and weigh in.
    I am a pharmacist. I read the same thing you read on Google. It is not correct. The patient is the only person allowed to pick up the medication and sign. If the patient can not pick it up, the patient can sign a release form allowing his representative to do so. I need a copy of the form. Where can I get it?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 21, 2014, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DR JBS View Post
    You answered the first part of the question.

Part 2 is... I am the pharmacy/pharmacist. Where do I get a copy of the form that the patient must sign for authorizing the patients representative to pick up his or her medication?
    I called my pharmacist who said that he asks his patients who pick up prescribed meds to sign a keypad. He gives them the HIPAA privacy information sheets (printouts). Anyone else who picks up meds for that patient signs the keypad, and the information is then stored in the pharmacy's computer.

I asked if this is now the accepted practice and was told yes, by any pharmacy that's using a computer system.

Do you use a computer system? I did find pdf HIPAA forms online.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Oct 21, 2014, 03:12 PM
    It is much to relaxed in canada. I pick up my wife's prescriptions all the time. We have different last names. They don't even really check ID.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 21, 2014, 03:48 PM
    Crave, not too relaxed, just more practical. I pick up my husbands and he picks up mine. No problem, and no HIPPA.

If this pharmacist wants this information, he probably has a regulation book in his pharmacy that gives him this information.

He just does not want to look hard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by DR JBS View Post
    Patient wants to have a second party pick up their medication from a pharmacy. Does the pharmacy need a signed HIPPA release form to allow this? If so, where can I get the necessary form?

I don't know why you are asking us to do the legwork for your DR JBS. You must have resources for this information at your fingertips. Are you new to your job ?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 21, 2014, 03:54 PM
    I'm somewhat concerned about his mention of "HIPPA."
    Expert

Oct 21, 2014, 03:56 PM
    Wondergirl, that is his problem. HE is the doctor; or pharmacist...
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 21, 2014, 04:12 PM
    I was referring to his misspelling of the acronym (if he's a pharmacist in the U.S.).
    Expert

Oct 21, 2014, 04:57 PM
    That is for him to tell us
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 22, 2014, 06:38 AM
    Bottom line is if the pharmacist gave the medication to a third party without express permission, they could be cited and fined for a HIPAA violation. From a practical standpoint, if the pharmacist knows the patient and the third party they might have no concern about a complaint being made. But to protect oneself, it is better to have a permission form signed.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 22, 2014, 07:46 AM
    I am a pharmacist. I read the same thing you read on Google. It is not correct. The patient is the only person allowed to pick up the medication and sign. If the patient can not pick it up, the patient can sign a release form allowing his representative to do so. I need a copy of the form. Where can I get it?
    Most pharmacists in my experience will deliver the prescription to a family member. I pick up my wife's all the time. I suppose the theory is that, unless my wife has asked me to do so, I wouldn't know that the prescription has been filled and is ready. But if you want to be obsessive about it, make up your own form. Takes about two lines:

"Date: _____________
    I, _______, of __________ (address), hereby authorize ___________ to pick up all my prescriptions from [name of pharmacist].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I become a pharmacist? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm currently a sophomore in HS and I'm not too sure what classes/steps I should take to become a pharmacist. Help anyone?

Pharmacist issue [ 6 Answers ]

My question is how do I report a pharmacist for what I believe was inappropriate judgement and riuning my relationship with my dentist? I do not feel that because due to HIPPA that I should not have to explain whom I see for physcian's nor why they prescibe medications to me.. He refused to fill a...

Pharmacist researcher [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a pharmacist searching for a chance to get a master scholarship in europe in drug technology,clinical pharmacy,drug modeling or any other pharmaceutical field.Here's my c.v.: C.V. ******** personal information deleted by moderator ********* ...

View more questions Search