Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lady H Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2014, 12:48 AM
    Breastfeeding
    I am 32 weeks pregnant.. but no changes on my breast at all.. I'm worried that I might not be producing breast milk for my baby an unable to breastfeed her.. I'm also the kind of person with small breast.. it worries me more.. any food supplement I should be taking? Any idea?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2014, 02:14 AM
    Hi Lady H,

It is not common for a woman not to be able to breastfeed. While many women will notice changes to their breasts during pregnancy, not everyone will. The main signal for milk production occurs with the delivery of the placenta and a drop in hormones.

During pregnancy, some women may start to leak a bit of colostrum, or they may notice a few drops if they were to try and hand express, some women will experience a change in size as well, but again, not experiencing any of those has no bearing on an ability to breastfeed.

Theres nothing to take at this point that would make a difference. Some things can be used after you start breastfeeding were there to be a need to try and boost your milk supply.

Not always easy to do, but try not to worry about it at this stage.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 21, 2014, 05:28 AM
    You can and if a real concern, discuss this with your doctor. But I agree, there is no reason you should not be able to.

Many times there are no, or only small changes.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 21, 2014, 05:45 AM
    Many women cannot breast feed for a number of reasons. However, it is important that you try. Not having breast changes during pregnancy is not indicative that you can or cannot breast feed. If there are breast feeding classes in your area, I encourage you to attend. It will also be important for you to utilize the lactation consultant at the hospital when you deliver. The nurses can also be a big help at feeding time.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Oct 21, 2014, 07:35 AM
    Also, if you find it hard to produce enough milk don't be embarrassed to consider alternative sources of food for your baby. You might feel bullied and forced to breast feed, and that is the best thing for your child don't get me wrong, but if you are having troubles there isn't anything with formula feeding your child. It isn't anything to feel bad about.

I only say this because my wife and I were bullied by our healthcare system for formula feeding our child. My wife couldn't produce and the child wasn't taking so we decided that we would rather have a well fed baby then a under fed baby. We got no end trouble for it. There were many times that we wanted to say some not nice things to the nurses, lactation consultants, and doctors for making us feel like crap for formula feeding. This time around we will say them. Stand up for your decisions regarding your child.

Good luck.
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2014, 02:23 PM
    True indeed... ultimately, baby has to eat one way or the other, and with breastfeeding it can take some time to get the hang of it for both mother and baby. If after consulting with a lactation consultant, or other support people, and the suggestions provided do not result in being able to breastfeed, then formula feeding is the obvious decision. A breastfeeding support group after baby is born can be helpful in addition to a breastfeeding class while still pregnant.

@CravenMorhead... just a note that this next experience could be completely different depending on whether a reason was determined previously. If that is something that you and your wife are considering trying again, hopefully things will go smoothly this next time.
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Oct 21, 2014, 02:53 PM
    @DoulaLC, I understand that completely and we're gung-ho going for breast feeding. We have all the stuff we learnt from the first time plus a few more tricks. The big thing we're not going to do is let anyone bully us, it might have just been the area in Canada we're in but they were really strict about breast is best. To the point where they wanted us to let our child go hungry. Then when told them that we were formula we got the lectures when the subtle undertone that we weren't doing what was best for our child. There is NO way I am going to let that happen to us again. I shouldn't have to comfort my crying wife after a visit to the doctor or vaccinations because she feels like a horrible mother for formula feeding.

If you look at any discussion about breast VS formula they make fabulous claims that are meant to scare. For example, "Breast milk MAY lower the chance of SIDs" "Breast milk MIGHT raise your childs IQ". While it implies heavily that if you are formula you can drink and be lazy while having stupid kids that might die in the crib. [source] When we took our prenatal class there were two or three nights solely on breast feeding and there was NOTHING on formula. When we asked there wasn't any discussion just the teacher pointing to the resources given in class; being our book. The bias in the information and how it is presented gives such a skewed picture of what is going on that it isn't fair to the parents to need to make the decision to supplement or heaven forbid use formula exclusively. The support should be for the decision of the parent not what the nurse or doctor believes to be the correct.

Sorry for the thread jack. Good luck and hopefully a happy nursing experience.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 21, 2014, 05:00 PM
    Just to add to the hijack for a minute. I was bullied as well when I had my youngest. I was told by the Le Leche League that even though I had a bilateral radical mastectomy I could still breast feed. I could only shake my head until I found the guts to tell them they needed to go back to school and take anatomy and physiology.
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2014, 05:55 PM
    It's unfortunate that sometimes the support that is sought and given, is not always very supportive... or informed from the sound of it.

Lady H... I truly hope that if help is needed after baby is born, that you will find more informed and compassionate support.
    Lady H Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2014, 07:29 PM
    Thank you for all informations.. it helps to motivate myself that I'm going to work things out.. it is so stressful when people around me keep on reminding me to breast feed, in which I will do my best to do so... I'm just afraid that I might disappoint them...
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2014, 07:50 PM
    Just remember, that it's not about making others happy. It's about feeling good about feeding your baby; however you choose to do so. There is excellent help out there for breastfeeding, sometimes you just may have to try different sources.

Look into a class that your hospital, birthing center, or doctor's office may offer that you can take fairly soon; before the birth. You will have help in hospital too.. Just know that you may receive some different suggestions while you are there from different staff. What works for one person, may not work for someone else, so it can be helpful to have a variety of ideas to try and see what may work best for you and your baby.

Some hospitals offer breastfeeding support groups that meet after you have had baby. Or there may be local groups in your area. Some lactation counselors or consultants will come to your home as well. If you have friends and/or family members who have breastfed, they may be good sources of information and support too.

Again, if you don't get the support that you feel is helpful to you, look to another source.

In the end, no matter how you feed baby, it will be the time that you spend with baby, the way that you interact, and how you nurture and comfort your baby that will matter most.
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Oct 22, 2014, 07:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady H View Post
    Thank you for all informations.. it helps to motivate myself that I'm going to work things out.. it is so stressful when people around me keep on reminding me to breast feed, in which I will do my best to do so... I'm just afraid that I might disappoint them...
    The only one you need to concern yourself about is your child. Don't give a spit in the wind about disappointing others. You're going to need a huge spine when raising your kid because there are going to be a LOT of people who're going to be disagreeing with how you raise your child. Disposable or cloth? Co-Sleep or crib? And don't get me started on solid foods. Do your research and understand your options and then do what YOU think is best for your child. Not what others things is best but what YOU think is best.

One thing to remember is that formula, and this is current modern formulas, are comparable and equivalent to breast milk is feeding your child so that they'll grow and flourish. Breast milk has anti-bodies and other good stuff and is the preferable choice but you'll still have a happy, giggly, baby if you use formula. You're not going to doom them to obesity, stupidity, or anything like that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Breastfeeding [ 3 Answers ]

I am 24 weeks pregnant with my first child. I am worried that I might not be producing breast milk as I have experienced no changes at all on my breast. Such as no tender breast, not growing bigger, or darker around nipples. My friends have been talking about how their breasts have changed a lot...

Breastfeeding ? [ 2 Answers ]

What happens to your breastmilk if you choose to not breastfeed? Some people have told me your body absorbs the milk, others have told me it turns to fat in your body, I'm not sure if it varies depending on the woman, if you opted not to breastfeed, did your breasts go back to their original size...

Breastfeeding [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Im wondering can somebody help me. Im expressing all my milk as I had terrible latching on problems.I express 2-3 times a day and was advised by my health nurse to express 10 minutes on one breast then ten on the other,then maybe 6 minutes on each breast and then maybe 4 minutes,all the while...

Can I.while breastfeeding? [ 2 Answers ]

Can you smoke while breastfeeding?

Breastfeeding [ 4 Answers ]

If I breastfeed will it make my nipples a little bit bigger? :D

View more questions Search