Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JamisonMSmith Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2014, 06:02 PM
    Gas Generator sputters and dies under any load?
    We purchased a small DuroMax Elite MX4500E 4,500 Watt 7 HP OHV 4-Cycle Gas Generator from Amazon in Oct 2012. We have had no problems with it since purchase and have probably 75 hours on it. That is until last weekend. I was using it with our air compressor (as I have for many hours previously) and t started sputtering and coughing and then died. The spark plug cap was shattered and I assumed that it must have gotten bumped and wasn't getting a strong consistent spark. I ordered and replaced the spark plug cap and it fired right up and ran great for about 20 minutes under load then sputtered and died. It fired right up but as soon as I put any load (from air compressor to skillsaw and even a small lamp) it sputtered and if I kept the load on it it would die, if I turned the load off, it leveled right back out and ran fine.

Everything I have read states carburetor issues but I don't think that this is it, I suspect something with the windings or the actual electricity generating rather than the motor itself. Any thoughts before I either tear this thing apart or take it in for service? Thanks!

Jamison
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 21, 2014, 05:53 AM
    What happens if you manually hold the throttle open when the generator is under load?
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2014, 06:52 PM
    Check the high speed rpms , and make sure its running at max , speed,
    But its on the engine side not the generator.
    It does sound like carb trouble.

Oct 23, 2014, 07:53 AM
    Thanks for the feedback thus far! I went out in between rain showers yesterday and was able to test some more. The genny fires right up and runs perfect under high load for about 10 minutes and then starts to bog and sputter. There is about 3/4 tank of gas in the machine. I suspect that my recent gas fill might have had some water or particulate in it and it takes some time for it to settle down and affect the carb. Does this make sense? You would think that after sitting for a couple of days any particulate would be on the bottom of the tank and get immediately sucked into the carb and prevent the engine from operating smoothly or even starting easily. Maybe more inclined to think water and the vibration of the genny makes it mix up and then becomes a problem?I am planning on shaking up good and draining some gas to see if water settles out. Any other thoughts?Thanks again!Jamison
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Oct 23, 2014, 08:10 AM
    Is there a vent on the gas filler cap? It sounds like you are losing fuel after it runs a bit. A bad vent on the cap could cause this.

Oct 23, 2014, 08:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    Is there a vent on the gas filler cap? It sounds like you are losing fuel after it runs a bit. A bad vent on the cap could cause this.
    Nothing apparent like on my larger generator where there is an actual threaded pressure relief valve. Maybe I will run it for a while this afternoon and open the gas cap see if it makes any difference.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Oct 23, 2014, 08:48 AM
    I have a smaller generator that has a cap that doesn't look like it's vented but it is. Just be careful if you open or loosen the cap while it is running.

Oct 23, 2014, 08:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    I have a smaller generator that has a cap that doesn't look like it's vented but it is. Just be careful if you open or loosen the cap while it is running.
    Thanks, will do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lawn mower runs then sputters / dies [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman 917.272751 18 hp rider elec start since AUG OF 03 and all has been great till now!It run it for 10 to 15 min then it starts sputtering and runs a little more and sputters again then quits. The service tec told me go to a difference type of gas as the ethanol from one station to...

2001 Honda Civic Sputters & Dies - 122k [ 3 Answers ]

My 2001 Honda Civic w/ 122,000 miles w/ regular maintenance has a phantom issue. About four weeks ago I was on the freeway in normal conditions 60-70 MPH and I lost most of the throttle power to just 1500-2000 rpms at full peddle throttle with an uneven idle & a check engine light on – I pulled...

Generator dies in curves on road [ 5 Answers ]

I have a HondaEU3000is generator mounted behind my semi to power my air conditioner, It dies every time I negotiate a on or off ramp curve also on windy roads. What can I do to keep it running, on straight roads it does not die and runs fine

Load in Generator [ 1 Answers ]

Why minimum load is required in ideal running generator.:o

Lawn tractor dies when under load. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman Garden tractor that I use to help plant my garden. The engine was replaced by my Grandfather in 1991 and is a 16HP Briggs & Stratton. At the end of last season I remember once the tractor got "warmed up", especially on hot days, it would start to die when under load. I would let...

View more questions Search