Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    derwon25 Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2014, 05:57 AM
    Plucking eyelashes habbit
    I have this bad habbit developed over a period to pluck my eyelashes if I am reading something uninteresting or if I am not concentrating completely on it. Also if I am in a tensed situation or anxiety. I do try really hard to not do that, hold my hand from reaching my eyes but I mostly fail. There was a time when I had completely succeeded from keeping myself to do that but it all came back ones a really bad incident happened which made me tensed and I took back to that habbit.

Suggest some remedy to get rid of this seriously ill habbit of mine.

Thanks!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 19, 2014, 06:08 AM
    Trichotillomania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fortunately it's not anywhere near the top of the list of harmful obsessions. Many people replace one habit with another, and that's not a good idea.
    My suggestion would be to get some drug store reading glasses, that cost just a few dollars. That will make it harder to reach your eyes. Get some fresh vegetables and cut them into pieces, and munch on them to keep your hands busy.
    Meanwhile you need to work on what's bothering you, whether it's the men in your life who dumped you, or something deeper. Women in their 20s often panic when they haven't followed in their mother's footsteps or done what their parents expect of them. Can you talk about if there is anything in either of those? Do you feel that your life is how you want it, or at least on a path there?

Oct 19, 2014, 11:30 AM
    @joypulv : first of all tnx a ton for throwing light on it. I did really tried to search on it but could never actually find but you made it clear to me, Trichotillomania. I guess yes cause I read and it has similarity with what is my problem also it mentions the peak of the age of its onset that is between 9-13 which in my case totally true, I agree 100%.
    Also the advice is noted, I will get reading glases for myself tomorrow. And WYI as I told you I got into this habit at a very early age so the cause I don't exactly know, most probably cause I didn't like to study but my parents were always like kind of saying to study and that I had to or at least had to act of doing while something else going on in my mind along with this plucking habbit. Later yeah heart breaks, I mean stressful situtations or anxiety or lack of interest do bring me do that like an escape mechanism I guess, may be.
    But I need to get rid of it, high time. Phew!!

Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Trichotillomania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fortunately it's not anywhere near the top of the list of harmful obsessions. Many people replace one habit with another, and that's not a good idea.
    My suggestion would be to get some drug store reading glasses, that cost just a few dollars. That will make it harder to reach your eyes. Get some fresh vegetables and cut them into pieces, and munch on them to keep your hands busy.
    Meanwhile you need to work on what's bothering you, whether it's the men in your life who dumped you, or something deeper. Women in their 20s often panic when they haven't followed in their mother's footsteps or done what their parents expect of them. Can you talk about if there is anything in either of those? Do you feel that your life is how you want it, or at least on a path there?

Oct 19, 2014, 11:39 AM
    @joypulv also I had conversation with my roomi and she told that her elder sister did the same and that I should stop doing it. As ones we are doing something that's not right hiding from the world, we can easily figure out who else is doing it so was in my case. One of my classmate also had this obsession but she unlike me plucked hair from her scalp. It was something like, she first catched a strand rolled it onto her fingers and PLUCK. It sounds so evil and scary right?! But true
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 19, 2014, 12:12 PM
    Evil and scary? Not at all. Plucking hair is probably the most common one (as you are hearing from others), because it's so easy and there's lots of it and it grows back.

I think most of us have some obsession at some time in our lives. When I was in first grade, I wrapped hair around my pencil and chewed on both of them. I also chewed on little tiny safety pins, and got yelled at by the teacher for that. I just had to open a closed pin using my tongue! It was a craving. I was good at it, and didn't ever hurt myself, but of course adults worried.
    Then it was gone, by the next year.
    I have one really long eyebrow hair. I love it because I inherited blonde eyebrows from my dad, and his were bushy. I keep playing with it though, and have the urge to pull it out, even though I want it as a reminder of my dad. Eventually I DO pull it out, even though I don't want to. It's that craving, that urge, that mini-obsession.
    I think most of us have some little thing like this.

Oct 19, 2014, 12:25 PM
    Yeah you are rite... :) mini-obsession... hehe... as in your case. But it waz an eye opener and feeling relieved after getting a hope and a SOLUTION to get done with it... huh..!

Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Evil and scary? Not at all. Plucking hair is probably the most common one (as you are hearing from others), because it's so easy and there's lots of it and it grows back.

I think most of us have some obsession at some time in our lives. When I was in first grade, I wrapped hair around my pencil and chewed on both of them. I also chewed on little tiny safety pins, and got yelled at by the teacher for that. I just had to open a closed pin using my tongue! It was a craving. I was good at it, and didn't ever hurt myself, but of course adults worried.
    Then it was gone, by the next year.
    I have one really long eyebrow hair. I love it because I inherited blonde eyebrows from my dad, and his were bushy. I keep playing with it though, and have the urge to pull it out, even though I want it as a reminder of my dad. Eventually I DO pull it out, even though I don't want to. It's that craving, that urge, that mini-obsession.
    I think most of us have some little thing like this.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2014, 02:50 PM
    If you are a student,go to counseling on campus. You likely will need help to stop this compulsive behavior

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I Need The Habbit Of Brushing My Teeth. [ 11 Answers ]

I Really Hate Going to The Dentist Because She Always Tells me "You NEED to Brush Your Teeth Every Night And Morning" SO There's My Problem it's Not Really Laziness, Because I'm Like Always Outside Or Doing Something Active & I Never Really Want to Brush My Teeth Unless I'm Going On a Date Or...

Annoying habbit? [ 2 Answers ]

I love my boyfriend very much indeed and wouldn't dream about splitting up over something minor, however he has a very bad habit or problem... basically he is far too easily influenced by his mates, I feel sometimes that he wants to be just like them, and act like them etc, he has a geeky side but...

Bad habbit [ 4 Answers ]

I want to break a bad habbit... I have been biting my nails since I was a little girl. Generally I start to nibble when I get nervous or anxious -- but rarely I notice what I am doing. Do you know any tricks to keeping my hands away from my lips? Thanks

View more questions Search