Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mami218 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2014, 02:09 PM
    Overstay status
    My mother's I-94 expires on 1/5/15 and I'm looking to see if she can leave at 1/6/15. Her flight will depart 5 min past midnight on the 6th , however, she'll check in at the airport around 10pm. Would she be out of status?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 17, 2014, 02:15 PM
    Isn't it kind of early to be checking this if she doesn't depart until January 6th, next year, at past midnight. Or are you posting the wrong year ? But yes, a day later does make a difference. Cant you get her there on the correct date and time ?
    mami218 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2014, 02:39 PM
    I am checking for 2015 because I want to make sure that she's not going to be in overstay status. The flight is super expensive on the 5th, but is very reasonable on the 6th, and that's why we are trying to figure out if she will be out of status if she leaves at 5 min past midnight and cause her to have problems when she comes back for visit in the future.
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

Oct 17, 2014, 07:03 PM
    Yes, she will be out of status, and yes, she will accrue 1 day of unlawful presence. The only definite consequence is that the visa she entered on will be void (if it isn't expired already).

"cause her to have problems when she comes back for visit in the future" is so vague and circumstantial that it's impossible to answer. U.S. consular officials can and often do give people "problems" when they want to visit whether or not they have overstayed.
    NYcityboy Posts: 785, Reputation: 65

Nov 19, 2014, 05:45 PM
    File for an extension of status prior to the expiration of her I-94 and she will be in status with the planned departure. You will need to see if the I-539 filing fee is worth the "overstay" on her record.

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lost green card status due overstay out of USA. Can I appy again? [ 1 Answers ]

I was a green card holder but lost the status as I lived out of USA for more than 10 years due family reasons. Can my brother file a petition again for me? Thanks Irfan Qidwai

Overstay [ 5 Answers ]

My fiancé came on an f1 student visa in 97. He overstayed and went home to Kenya Aug 2013 for medical treatment. How can he return?

Overstay visa [ 3 Answers ]

I overstayed my vacation is the United states by 6 months,and working their while in colledge for my friends business,I was made to sign paper work stating all of this and was told I would be given a copy,I did not receive any paperwork when I boarded my plain baack to Toronto.The only item that...

Overstay [ 3 Answers ]

If you came to the USA on a f1 visa, which is only good for 4 years and have remained in the US on "over stay" for the past 1 month (because it expired in November 2009), and you want to marry an American fiancée , can that person get a Green Card by marrying the American citizen? Is being on...

Visa overstay [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I just got married in April , I am pregnant and he can't find a job because he doesn't have papers. He overstayed his visa... He is from Jordan and I'm american, who can I talk to or what can I do, to get him a work permit without him being deported... If someone calls immigration...

View more questions Search