Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ptachic31 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2014, 10:06 PM
    "Tapping"; sound coming from inside my Wall
    I was woken up by a "tapping" sound coming from inside my wall. It sounds like water drips hitting something from high up. When I heard it, we had not run any water for about 2 hours or so (the last toilet flush before going to bed). It is inconsistent (I can hear 3 taps in a row and none for about 30 seconds then hear 2 more, so on). It seemed to stop all together for about 20 min then started back up. We live in a 2 story condo with finished basement and have lived here for about 1 year. I have never noticed this before (and I tend to notice these things). A Manablock system was installed before we moved in and all our drains (that I can see) are PVC. I do not see any water stains but don't want to wait for one to show up, either. Our main drain stack comes down through the wall between our kitchen and living room, but the sound isn't the loudest there. It is loudest in in area of our kitchen where no water or drain lines are (at least I don't think there are any there). But, I can hear it from almost anywhere in the house, which is weird. I wouldn't think a small leak could produce a sound I could hear almost anywhere.It is not an overly cold evening here (lower 50's tonight) and we have not run any hot water, so I don't think it is expansion of the pipes or anything like that. Any thoughts? I would not like to rush to calling a plumber or anything if not needed.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 13, 2014, 06:26 AM
    Knocking, popping, creaking and crackling pipes are a common complaint, especially in colder weather. I can tell you what's happening and take the mystery out of it but you're not going to like the repair. When a draw is made on a hot water line the line expands against a pipe strap next to a stud and when you drain hot water from your tub or shower it goes into a chase that is a little cooler then room temperature. The heat expands the pipe causing it to rub against the stud to which it is pipe strapped. This is the sound you hear. As it cools it contracts and the noise is heard again. To repair it you must tear open the walls and locate the pipe strap that's causing the problem and shim it tight. Most people when they learn what causes it just elect to live with it. Good luck and thank you for rating my answer. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Popping sound inside wall [ 3 Answers ]

I have very recently started hearing a popping sound in my sitting room, after which the lights start flickering. The pop has occurred, perhaps, three times over a several day period. I don't know exactly where the sound is coming from and suspect it is from one of the outlets in that room. Any...

Tapping/ Popping sound in wall [ 6 Answers ]

I keep hearing a tapping/ popping sound in my bedroom exterior wall or ceiling. There is no plumbing there but there is electrical wires. I have had problems with rodents (rats/squirrels) in the past. Could there be some sort of arcing from them chewing through insulation on the wires?

Creaking/Dripping/Tapping Sound Inside Wall? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 1 year old house and recently, due to the cold weather, I have started to use the central heating system and I have encountered an issue with a creaking/dripping sound inside the walls directly above where the boiler is situated. The sound starts immediately after the boiler fires...

Loud tapping noises coming from inside roof [ 6 Answers ]

We can hear a vibrating tapping noise coming from inside the roof. We can only hear it in some parts of the house, but it is a very pounding,vibrating noise. The taps occur every second (like a second hand going around on a clock). We have turned off the water but the noise is still happening.

Running water sound inside the wall [ 2 Answers ]

Water running sound inside the wall pipes going upstairs.

View more questions Search