Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    africke Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2014, 07:52 AM
    Vacation Payout
    I have a question, a friend of mine currently works for a company that offers PTO for both full time and part time employees, they do not offer PTO for someone in an on call status. She was full time for about 3 years and just recently went into an on call status, in a different dept and at a different hourly rate. Because of the transition she had to be paid out the PTO she accrued because she was going from FT to On Call; however when they paid her out they paid her PTO out as her new rate and not at which she accrued it at. Could this be an error or was this paid out correctly?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 3, 2014, 07:56 AM
    Sounds incorrect. She should have been paid out at the rate she earned it.
    africke Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2014, 08:01 AM
    Thank you, that was our thoughts to as well as the thoughts of a few others that we had asked but figured we should get as many answers/thoughts as possible before questioning it. Thanks!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 3, 2014, 10:47 AM
    I don't think you should ask 'others' about this. Generally anyone would go directly to payroll to find out about what appears to be a discrepancy on their pay cheque. Why waste time, just go directly to the person who can give a qualified correct answer and get it over an done with. Its her money.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 3, 2014, 03:39 PM
    I agree with tickle. The first thing that should have been done is point out to payroll/HR the discrepancy and see what they said.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 3, 2014, 07:38 PM
    Agree, it was "earned" at the higher rate of pay, and should be paid at the higher rate.

But before even talking to anyone else, you should talk to the HR department

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the difference between earned vacation time and vacation time on the books? [ 3 Answers ]

I get paid every two weeks. On my last pay stub my vacation hours totaled 39.91 hours. I have worked two additional weeks and have earned more 14 more hours but it will not be reflected on the "books" until the next payroll run. I am scheduled to take a week off next week and am being told that...

501c 3 payout? [ 1 Answers ]

If a church member(no one on staff or on the board) has serious car trouble, needs a new engine but is struggling financially and can't afford one, can the church as a means of charity, give this person the money to replace the engine?

How do I respond when an employee asks to extend vacation days while on vacation? [ 2 Answers ]

Employee asked for Monday off for vacay. Approved. Then, Monday evening, she called me to ask for Tuesday off. She is an employee who has done this before, giving reasons that have to do with her son and his father spending more time, etc.etc. I'm all for family time, but feel that this is...

Payout for Unused Vacation Time [ 1 Answers ]

Currently our office policy to is to award vacation days to be used over the course of a year after each year of employment. We do not currently pay out unused vacation time at the end of the year, or on termination. My questions are is this a typical or atypical policy?Also, I have just been...

Insurance payout [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I was walking in front of my house new years morning and a lady ran into me. Shattering my left ankle and spraining my right one. I had to have surgery to put screws into my ankle. Spent 4 days in the hospital. Me only being 20 and no longer able to work (couldnt afford medical...

View more questions Search