Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 30, 2014, 06:15 PM
    I think he should report on this thread daily, successes as well as failures. That way, we'll be on top of the potty training. (His pup is darn cute!)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 30, 2014, 06:28 PM
    Wish I could see the pup, but I know cocker's, and they're adorable. Not my breed of choice, but not because of temperament or looks, just the size. I like bigger dogs. Having said that, they're smart dogs, very docile, and easy to train. Great with kids, and very easy going. Prone to ear issues because of the size of the ear, so keep that in check. Regular ear cleaning is a must or it will lead to infection.
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Oct 1, 2014, 02:44 PM
    I agree with it all. Most of what was mentioned we are doing, with the exception of the pee pads. We only use those when we have to. We are both gone during the day and she is too young for us to leave her in the yard yet. I try to get to her at night to let her out but sometimes we don't get up... having a pad is all we can off her at those times. I understand it possibly will confuse her and delay training, but it's all we can do in those situations. She is making small progress. She's starting to head to the door sometimes when she needs to go and does a lot of sniffing around... noticing those little things helps us get her out in time (most of the time). I know seeing a picture of her won't help answer anything... but she sure is cute :)

Name:  _918.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  472.4 KB
    Name:  _920.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  463.9 KB
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2014, 04:02 PM
    Its probably already been said, but she could be having a urinary tract infection. Before giving up all hope, I'd get her checked over good by a vet.
    Pets Expert

Oct 2, 2014, 05:32 PM
    She's adorable! Love her colors.

I do agree that she could have a UTI, but like I said before, a 10 week old puppy pottying multiple times a day, isn't abnormal. By all means mention it at her next immunization visit, but unless she's actually showing signs of a UTI, I wouldn't make a separate appointment at this time. But it's your call.

One thing that may help with overnight and during the day. Don't leave water out all day long. Remove the water an hour before you leave for the day, and an hour before bed time. Make sure to take her for a potty break right before you go to work, and right before bed. That may help keep her dry.

But, I also have to mention that at her age she cannot be left in a crate for a normal work day. The rule is 1 hour for every month of age. So at her age she shouldn't be in the crate longer than 1.5 hours during the day. You can push that to 2 hours, but no more than that.

I'd canvass the neighborhood, find a retired neighbor, or stay at home mom, that can come over and relieve her during the day. Just a quick jaunt outside for a pee and poo, a bit of affection, and then back in the crate.

When we got Rascal (my now 3 year old border collie) I was working. He was 8 weeks old when we got him. I came home during my coffee breaks, and my lunch break, to take him out for a pee and poo. That's what you have to do with a puppy. It's really not an option, and I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but if this isn't possible, then you probably shouldn't have gotten a puppy, you should have looked at adopting an older dog.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 2, 2014, 05:44 PM
    I have to say this HH, but any dog I have ever house broken, I was absolutely diligent all night long. As soon as there was any indication, out they went, no matter what time, no matter what the weather. All my dogs were well house broken.

But I know it is difficult if you are both working a full day, but it has to be done.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2014, 05:58 PM
    Puppies do pee a lot.. but the OP said that she will potty outside several times than come in and potty. That to me says UTI. Having even the slightest infection can make house training a nightmare. I would take the pup in as soon as you can for this problem. It could be nothing. But than again it could be the whole reason as to why this is difficult.

But on the other side of this... My bulldog was VERY difficult to house train. The trainers all say that house training is both physical and mental.. my poor boy was both. He did get scolded firmly for pottying in the house... acting like nothing is wrong did not work with him. Maybe you need to be more stern.

Oct 2, 2014, 06:29 PM
    I'm trying to let her know we're not happy when she does it in the house. By nature Cockers are sensitive and I want to be careful with that. We usually give her a stern "no" and take her out right in the middle of the act. She also gets excited easily (as puppies do)... and with two little girls also in the home it's darn near impossible to keep a calm house. We are seeing a little progress however, but it's a LONG shot from being done. We might get her in to the vet this coming week just double checking the UTI.
    Pets Expert

Oct 3, 2014, 03:10 PM
    My beagle would pee multiple times. I'd take him out for a pee, he'd pee 3 times in 5 minutes and still come inside to pee again. The vets explanation was that he was saving it to mark his territory. When we go for a walk he will pee on every bush he sees, every fire hydrant, every light post, everything he finds. He just lets a few drops out a time on each item. Then, when we're getting close to home, he'll let it all out. But as a puppy he saved it and then went back inside, and then he'd pee inside because he still had to pee, even though he had peed 3 times outside. If that makes sense.

I really don't think this is a UTI, but none of us can examine your dog, not even a vet can do that online, especially for a UTI. If you're concerned that this may be the case, then go to the vet. Goodness knows I've been wrong before. :)

But, even if she does have a UTI, that doesn't change the fact that she's a 10 week old puppy, and at her age she will need to potty a lot, and training will be a slow process. Like I said before, her bladder really won't be grown enough to hold it for long, until she's at least 4 months of age, so just continue the training, and be patient. She'll get there. :)

Oct 5, 2014, 05:44 AM
    Thanks Alty... what your vet told does sound a lot like what we are experiencing. We'll give her some more time and see how she advances. I'm sure she's going to do just fine.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 5, 2014, 06:09 AM
    She's adorable! A UTI is possible, but as I said above, I have a now 15 week Catahoula Leopard puppy, she's mixed with boxer. She would do the same thing, go outside and potty, then come in an moments later potty again. We did take her to the vet, not strictly for that but shots, worming and a general check up. No UTI. Vet said they have a tiny bladder at this age and can go numerous times if they don't completely empty their bladder outside.

She now stays outside for 10-15 minutes per potty break, and we haven't had an accident in 3 days. She stays in her crate all night with no interruptions after having a fun roughhousing session followed by a potty break before bedtime. Her crate is her paradise. We frequently find her up there just "resting" on her little bed. At night when my daughter (20) is ready for bed she just says "Rose, it's bedtime, let's go to your room" and Rose runs up and jumps in her crate.

Your baby will get there too. Just remember that she is a baby and this is a learning curve for her.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 5, 2014, 07:40 AM
    My last big loveable dog Taffy, who I had from five weeks old (she was a rescue) until she was l5, loved her crate and used it for naps throughout the day without the door closed of course. It was her safe haven from the cares of the household I guess. May she rest in peace.

She potty trained in an instant, at times going out in a snow storm to have a pee !

Jan 6, 2015, 05:44 PM
    Just to update. She did have some issues with a UTI, however that's all cleared up. She is a submissive urinator and also very excitable. Keeping that in mind she does really well now when eased into us coming home or playing with her. For the most part we now consider our Belle potty trained with the exception of a few accidents here and there 😊
    Pets Expert

Jan 7, 2015, 03:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hauntinghelper View Post
    Just to update. She did have some issues with a UTI, however that's all cleared up. She is a submissive urinator and also very excitable. Keeping that in mind she does really well now when eased into us coming home or playing with her. For the most part we now consider our Belle potty trained with the exception of a few accidents here and there 😊
    That's great news. Just keep at the training, the reinforcement of good behavior. It takes some dogs longer to potty train than others. I've had dogs that got it 2 days after we brought them home, and others that took 6 months or more. It all depends on the dog. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to potty train puppy mill puppy? [ 2 Answers ]

My puppy was in a pet store, probably came from a puppy mill. She was in a kennel at the store for 5 months. Before I bought her. When I put her in a crate she poos. She lived in a pet store kennel with poo and pee falling below through grates. I closed off an area with puppy pads. We she...

Puppy odor/potty train [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 5 month old Chihuahua (a girl)! I have used everything to stop the smell. She takes a bath like twice a month and don't go outside that often. I have cleaned the carpet and it still smells like her. Help me its my first puppy and I'm going crazy! We love her so much I wouldn't give her up...

How to potty train 7 month old puppy? [ 21 Answers ]

Please help 7 month old ptbull mix will not got to the bathroom out side no matter how long we leave her out I really want to keep her but I also have a 3 year old pitbull that I don't want going on the floor because the puppy is... Please help

My puppy will not potty train or go outside [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please help? I have a 4 month old ****-zu cross who has many bad habits. From 12 weeks (when we got her) we have been using training mats, which she uses but still has accidents around the house sometimes and it is driving me crazy because it stinks. I take her for long walks but...

What's the best way to potty train a 5 month old puppy? [ 4 Answers ]

In December I got a puppy.He pees on the carpet,and he needs to stop!Sometimes when I take him on walks he pees.All I want to know a website that tells how to potty train a puppy,or someone can just tell me how to as an answer.

View more questions Search