Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donsor Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2014, 06:39 PM
    Efficiency
    I vaguely remembered from my previous Physics class the "Input Equals Output" which amounted to 100% efficiency. But the 100% effici3ncy is not always achievable so the Output could be somewhat less. Does this theory or accepted fact still hold true in today's advanced technology? For example: My 2000 Acura 3.2 TL is advertised to have 21MPG City fuel efficiency. Today Acura is boasting a mileage of around 30MPG. How do car manufacturers achieve such fuel efficiency? I suspect that something else in the automobile such as weight or performance and Return On Investment had to be considered. What say you?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2014, 10:25 AM
    There are loads of changes in 14 years. The fuel distribution technology in your 2000 is vastly different than today, which is direct injection, like a diesel. Is the engine displacement the same? Your 2000 probably has a 4 speed, my 2006 Nissan has a six speed and at 70MPH is only turning 2000 RPM. I had a 1957 TR3 with a 4 speed that at 70 was turning 3500 RPM. Some newer models have 10 speed. Ford is going to Aluminum body panels to reduce weight. Aerodynamics plays a part. I would say weight, fuel injection and RPM are the 3 big factors. Even with all those changes, the efficiency of a gas engine is probably less than 20-25%.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 29, 2014, 12:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by donsor
    Does this theory or accepted fact still hold true in today's advanced technology?
    Indeed it is still true - the idea that output could be greater than input violates the 2nd law of thermodynamcs, and would allow the development of a perpetual motion machine.

In addition to the technologies that ma0641 mentioned I would add that modern electronic engine management systems and sensors are much more sophisticated now, having the ability to change and optimize the ignition timing and air/fuel mixture constantly depending on variables such as air temp, exhaust mixture, engine load, and RPM.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AC efficiency [ 6 Answers ]

My neighbor just had her central AC system routinely serviced. She asked the technician, "if I close the doors to bedrooms not used and close the AC vent in each of those rooms, will I save money by directing the air to only the rooms I use?" He said it would actually cut down on efficiency...

Boiler efficiency [ 0 Answers ]

my question is that what is calorific value of natural gas and bio gas in kcal/kg. what is density of natural and bio gas

Efficiency [ 3 Answers ]

1. A 100w light bulb produces 8w of light What happens to the other 92w?

View more questions Search