Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sonja777 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2014, 07:48 AM
    Afraid to poop outside
    I have a 4 yr. old Rat Terrier who has also become afraid to poop outside. He just recently started pooping in the house and acts like he's afraid to poop. He'll run and drop poop in different places, but no long out in the backyard where he used to go. Any ideas?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 26, 2014, 08:55 AM
    Your dog is not afraid of doing his business, he is having trouble with his anal glands most probably. You can have that done At the vet if you want him back to normal.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 26, 2014, 03:57 PM
    Unlikely that it's the anal glands just because he started to poo inside instead of outside. Now, if he were scootching on the carpet, or the grass, or anywhere, then I'd think anal glands. But pooing inside suddenly, doesn't point to issues with his anal glands. By all means get them checked, but I don't think that this is the issue that's causing him to poo inside.

Did anything happen outside that would give him a reason to be afraid? Any change in the household? Are his poops healthy looking?
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2014, 04:29 PM
    How did you react to him pooping inside? Are you with him out in the yard?
    Anal gland issues don't have much to do with pooping around the house.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 27, 2014, 05:11 PM
    @sariss. I know anal glands have nothing to do with pooping around the house but the dog must be in some kind of discomfort wth his bowels to deviate from normal routine.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 28, 2014, 02:14 PM
    Not necessarily Tickle. There are many things that can cause a formerly trained dog to suddenly start pooing inside. In fact, of all the things I can think of, issues with the bowel is last on the list.

But, the OP should take the dog to the vet to rule out anything in that area. My guess though, and all any of us can do is guess, is that the dog is frightened to go outside. Finding out what frightened him will be next to impossible. It could also be a sudden change in the home, like a new family member, new animal, new work schedule, construction, new food dish, new food, new sleep schedule, and the list goes on and on and on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Poop [ 2 Answers ]

I have been having "irritable" bowels issues for a while but last week the cramps were extreme and debilitating for weeks, so I did an enema.. Well that did its job but 8 day as later. And no go.. built-in. Should I be concerned? Or is it normal?

I have a 3 yr old mini schnauzer that eats poop and also will poop/pee in the house [ 3 Answers ]

He seems to get too distracted outside by birds, squirels, and or whatever else. How can I work on these annoying traits, otherwise he's a wonderful temperament dog.

My yorkie has Poop blocking him to poop. [ 2 Answers ]

I noticed that my 10 week old Yorkie was trying to poop like 5 times in a roll, he was trying real hard and I noticed that there was nothing to pick up. He did the same thing serval times. I looked at his anal and there is hard poop that is blocking him to poop. What do I do? :confused:

View more questions Search