Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JessicsCD Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2014, 11:12 PM
    Parental Custody
    In Utah, is it legal for a parent to kick their child out of the house while they are still in high school after they've turned 18 years of age? For the record, this child will have no place to go but the street. Is this considered abandonment?
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Sep 25, 2014, 11:24 PM
    Once the child turns 18, they are legally an adult. At that point, the parents can legally stop providing for them, including kicking them out.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 26, 2014, 06:37 AM
    And thus, the title of this thread "Parental Custody" is incorrect: the parent or parents no longer "have custody of" their child if he or she has become an adult.

By the way, no: even if the child were still a minor, "kicking out" would not be considered "abandonment" except in one or two states, Utah not being one of them. In almost all states, "abandonment" refers to the act of leaving a small child unsupervised.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2014, 07:31 AM
    If they are ready to kick you out at 18 and you haven't graduated yet. I bet there are certainly behavioural issues at play here, possibly a long history of them.

You would be staying under their roof on their dime purely on their good graces. Meaning their house, their food, their utilities, their rules. YOU don't get to make any rules... you follow them until you are able to pay your own way though life and rent your own place out of your own paycheck.

Sorry, this is the real world. Welcome to it. It's a bit of a shock for most (and probibly all) teenagers when they have to face it.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 26, 2014, 07:37 AM
    Playing devil's advocate here.

If the child in question is still in high school wouldn't the parents still be responsible? Also, wouldn't there have to be an eviction?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 26, 2014, 07:54 AM
    Legally,
    They will have to evict, and do a formal eviction.

As a more common practice, a parent does often just kick a child out, if the child is 18, and there are reasons.

We did not hear, why. Is the child really going to school, or are they 18 and still only a freshman?
    Or registered in school, but failing and never going?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 26, 2014, 12:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    If the child in question is still in high school wouldn't the parents still be responsible?
    No, not normally.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 26, 2014, 01:17 PM
    I'm curious are you the parent or the child?

But, as noted, at 18 the child is an adult and no longer the responsibility of the parent. However, they would be considered a resident of the home and a formal eviction would probably be required.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Sep 26, 2014, 06:48 PM
    In high school, once the student turns 18, they can write their own absence notes and sign parent signature areas on forms. They are considered adults. I knew many students living with friends because their parents kicked them out.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 26, 2014, 07:07 PM
    Been there TJ. I went back to high school at 19 (graduated at 17) to upgrade in Math 30. I was working full time, and more than once my work schedule didn't mesh with school. My teacher demanded a note, so I wrote one, with a copy of my birth certificate.

I remember this so well. One of the other students saw my note and said "She totally wrote that herself! Her name is on the bottom! So why can she write a note to excuse her absence and I can't". The teachers reply "She's an adult. You aren't".
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Sep 26, 2014, 07:55 PM
    I was 18 for the last few months of high school. The only thing I couldn't do was sign report cards. Unfortunately, today's students can write a note for anything and tend to flunk out of school. They come back for their GED's later on once they regret their earlier decision.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I regain custody after termination of parental rights? [ 6 Answers ]

My daughter was taken 3 years ago from myself and my husband by the Department of Social Services here in N.C. She was adopted by my husband's aunt and uncle. We have no contact with her. Our rights were terminated. Now, she is being abused and neglected by them. I am a good mom who just got...

Parental rights vs custody [ 2 Answers ]

When I die can I give custody to my child's step father or will the biological father gain full custody?

Parental Rights Vs Full Custody [ 2 Answers ]

What Does It Mean To Give Up Your Parental Rights And Is It The Same As Full Custody?

Parental custody for leaving province? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a situation. Im a new mother , and currently raising the baby on my own. The father wants to be involved but lives in another province . He is pushing for me and the child to move there to be a family . I'm just worried if I move there and things don't work out he will be able to force me...

Child custody and parental rights. [ 1 Answers ]

I am wanting to file for divorce and custody of my nine year old son. The father of my son has not been in his life for over 4 years. I am not wanting to get child support if I don't have to however I am wanting him to give up his paternal rights to him. He is nothing but an alcoholic and my son...

View more questions Search