Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kate_joy22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2014, 04:11 PM
    Struggling being in a long distance relationship
    I've been with my boyfriend for just over three years. Recently (within the last two months) he has moved three hours away to finish schooling. It has been an extremely difficult transition for me, especially because I need quality time to really feel loved. We have always had the best relationship, and hardly ever fight. He is my best friend, and we just mesh together so well.

He promised that we would talk all the time, but it's been seven weeks, and we have only talked on the phone twice. The rest is just text messaging. I've been struggling with the lack of communication, and I've been really unhappy. I just don't know what to do. I'm confused as the why I feel like I'm the only one missing him. I feel like he doesn't care for me anymore, but I don't know what to say to him...

What should I do?
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 25, 2014, 05:13 PM
    You need to chill and find a few things to do that you enjoy while he does finish his schooling. Try to love yourself, so you can have a healthy love for him, not a NEED like some junkie who needs a fix. Yes long distance relationships are very hard, but they are harder when you cannot make that transition, or add more stress to it by being needy.

To be fair though I fully understand more phone time instead of just texting, even online somehow, so talk about it. Not demand, but talk about it, as sometimes its just not that easy and can be more expensive. So don't get desperate, or carried away by the stress you are putting on yourself. It may get better later as far as more communications other than texting, so be patient as you work on it in a calm mature way.

How much longer does he have to go with this distance between you?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2014, 05:46 PM
    Why not write him a letter?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 25, 2014, 05:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kate_joy22 View Post
    I need quality time to really feel loved
    Where does THAT come from? Being needy is not at all attractive, in person or at a distance. Are you afraid if you don't hear from him, hear his voice regularly when he checks in with you, he'll find someone else? (Back in the early '60s, we didn't use expensive phones to call each other long distance. We had to stay in touch by SNAIL MAiL, a letter a week, if we were lucky -- and we did a good job of being faithful to each other.) How about writing letters to him?

How many times a day do you text him? does he text you?

Like tal asked, how long will he be away?
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Sep 25, 2014, 09:14 PM
    You need quality time to feel loved? What if he were in the military and could not give you quality time? Seems to me the problem is your neediness. Get a life while he is in school. Call him a sometime. Ask him if he can call you rather than text so much.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 26, 2014, 06:10 AM
    No, you need to be loved, to feel love. If you are too demanding, then it will chase a partner away.

So you want to talk to him,? How often and how many times have you called him on the phone. Instead of text, just dial?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2014, 06:23 AM
    As the others have said... yiou are doing everything to drive him away. He's in school, school is his number one focus in life right now, as it should be. He doesn't NEED this extra crap right now.

If you can't deal with him being away... then breakup with him and get someone new that's local.

Sorry if thats a bit too blunt. But thats reality. THat education is expensive...VERY expensive....adn his future depends on it....one you might or might not even be part of.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Long Distance Relationship! [ 280 Answers ]

Entire story merged He lives 2000 miles away and I miss him so much! :( We have been together for 1year and almost 3 months and so far 9months of it has been long distance. We talk about 3times a day on the phone.($$$ :(.. lol) We have seen each other 2 times since we had to be in long...

Struggling with long distance relationship, am I just too impatient and needy? [ 5 Answers ]

So: I have been with my boyfriend for 4 months. We met online and then met in person four months later, and have been together ever since. He lives 6 hours away, and I have been out to visit him (driving) about 5 times since we started dating. He's been to my city once to meet my family and...

Long distance relationship [ 3 Answers ]

My b/f works out on the road for 4 weeks at a time and comes home for 1 week. My question is what ideas do you have to keep it spicy and hot while he's gone and when he comes home. We phone each other every night and text through the day but I don't want to be boring during these times. We are both...

View more questions Search