Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stewrun Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2007, 03:01 PM
    Briggs 14.5 HP Model 287707-1272 - smokin' !
    Help
    My Briggs-powered lawn tractor is in a sad way :( . I can start it and it runs fine for 3-5 minutes. Then as I'm mowing, it will suddenly belch a massive cloud of smoke and stop running. It doesn't seem to be throwing any smoke out the exhaust before this happens.
    I've ready around the Net a bit on this, and I've heard it could be a bad breather, a blown head gasket, etc. Anyone know if I can diagnose better what the exact problem is before I order a bunch of parts? Thanks!

Brian (stewrun)
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Apr 7, 2007, 11:41 PM
    Drain the oil and refill to the proper level ensuring that there is no fuel mixed with oil. If there is fuel mixed with the oil the carburetor is leaking and will need to be rebuilt.

The crankcase operates under vacum so when the breather valve is faulty, the dip stick doesn't seal or it has a blown headgasket the crankcase loses its vacum and oil is pushed out the breather vent into the aircleaner. This is far more rare than the overfill of oil or fuel mix problem.

Let us know what works.

Don
    stewrun Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2007, 08:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by newaukumdon
    Drain the oil and refill to the proper level ensuring that there is no fuel mixed with oil. If there is fuel mixed with the oil the carburetor is leaking and will need to be rebuilt.

The crankcase operates under vacum so when the breather valve is faulty, the dip stick doesn't seal or it has a blown headgasket the crankcase loses its vacum and oil is pushed out the breather vent into the aircleaner. This is far more rare than the overfill of oil or fuel mix problem.

Let us know what works.

Don
    Thanks Don
    I drained the oil and man there was a ton of fuel in the pan! So, it looks like I have a bad carb? I took the valve cover off and fuel poured out of there also! Is there any way to adjust the carb to cut back on fuel flow, or must I rebuild/replace it?
    Could the overfill of oil/fuel in the pan have caused the smoke cloud/stall behavior? Did I mess up the breather and head gasket because of this too?
    I know, lots of questions - thanks so much for your help!

Brian(stewrun)
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Apr 8, 2007, 11:22 AM
    Common problem often misdiagnosed, the carb has a needle valve that sits in a seat. When the float chamber is empty the float hangs down and allows fuel to enter the chamber, as the level in the chamber rises the needle seats and stops the flow. The needle will not seat because of either debris or just a bad seat.. . You can flush the fuel tank and the crankcase and try again paying attention to the oil.

YES, the fuel will cause the smoke and NO it probably did no damage.

Good luck,
    Don
    bpsew Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2009, 07:58 AM
    Check your head gasket. Mine did the same thing. Started smoking all off a sudden. This is a common problem for this engine. The head gasket will blow will by the overhead valve chamber. Then you have pressure in the crank case. The pressure will push oil into the breather.

Thanks
    bpsew
    ebilly Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Mar 21, 2012, 04:14 PM
    The carb problem is the most likely one in this case. Mine was letting gas flow into the intake all the time. Of course, it will go into the little tube that goes to the PCV box on the side of the crankcase, and then into the oil. It will also go into the cylinder if the intake valve isn't fully seated, and often will seep in there anyway. It will wind up in the overhead valve chamber if the engine is turned over or run. The vacuum in the crankcase will suck more fuel into the oil after the engine is run and not turning over. One big mess either way and lots of smoke. The carb has to be rebuilt or replaced. Depending upon the carb LMT number, the kit may or may not have the nozzle that goes up into the center of the carb, over the after-fire solenoid. If either seat, on the inlet, or this nozzle doesn't seal, the carb can leak gas.

This comment is for anyone who searches and finds this. Hope all helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore elite model quiet guard 7 model 665. [ 12 Answers ]

Six month old dishwasher. Worked fine until today - won't start. LIghts are on and control panel seems to be working OK. The "Clean" indicator is flashing in intervals of 7 flashes and then pauses. When I select the "Start" button it flashes red 3 times and then nothing. The "Drain/Cancel"...

B&S 14HP Model 287707 slow crank starting [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 1992 MTD 1442 riding mower with a B&S 14HP OHV engine MOdel 287707 Type 0153 01 Code 9210214A. It hasn't been starting except with the use of a charger/starter. Engine wouldn't crank but when charger/starter put on it, could get engine started. Now even the charger/starter won't start...

Briggs 16 horse 326431 model [ 4 Answers ]

Can someone tell me how to time the cam and crank on my 16 horse briggs engine, The model of my engine is 326431 TYPE 0144-01 CODE 7211221, Thanks

12.5 briggs [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 11hp rear engine snapper. The motor shut down on me so I took it off and replaced with a 12.5hp. The only 2 wires the 11hp had was a starter wire and another that went inside the lid. This 12.5hp has those 2 wires plus 2 more that are both coming out of the side together in the same...

18.5 HP Briggs [ 5 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I have a Craftsman lawn mower with a 18.5 Briggs single cylinder that will not crank over. Have replaced the starter with a new one and it still does not crank over. Someone suggested checking the values and the valves were a little off so we fixed them. Sometimes it will...

View more questions Search