Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    steve22 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Apr 7, 2007, 02:47 PM
    Ontario Regulations for Air Pistols
    Hello, I'm considering buying an air pistol when I turn 18 (couple months from now). First though, I would like to know the laws and regulations for air guns/pistols in Ontario. The reason I want one is that they've always fascinated me and I'd frankly like to try shooting a handgun. I know an air gun won't be the same as a real gun, but I accept that. I am a responsible person and would never conceal it or use it for robberies and such, but I'm sure there are other less obvious laws and regulations that I need to know about.

I expect that I would be taking it into the nearby countryside to shoot it, which would be about 10 kilometres from the main city. I would be on other people's property, without their permission. If there are no posted "No Trespassing" signs, is this breaking any laws? Do I have to go farther out of town? Also, is there a certain distance that I have to be away from roads to legally fire air pistols?

I can't seem to find any official government legislation for these questions, as all my findings are regarding hunting or guns that need registration. I only really value information that's specific to Ontario and if necessary, Richmond Hill (my town), as I know a lot of it is different for different provinces and such. Thanks in advance.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 7, 2007, 03:12 PM
    I live in Ontario. I wouldn't want to see anyone carrying a gun of any kind. Do you actually realize that these are dangerous, and I don't care how responsible you say you are.

You must want that air gun really bad because you didn't look hard enough to air pistol regulations in Ontario. I googled 'Ontario Regulations for Air Pistols' and found quite a bit of information you should read too.

Apr 7, 2007, 03:26 PM
    There's no need to insult me, I've asked a perfectly legitimate question. I'm sorry if you don't like it but air guns are legal in Canada, anyone 18 or older can walk in and buy one in Canadian Tire, they start at about $35. Don't make this into a discussion on politics.

I do realize that they're dangerous if you're not careful, which is why I'm taking the time to look into this instead of just running off to the store to buy one. If you'd taken 10 seconds to look at the "quite a bit of information" which you'd found, you would see that my specific questions are not answered which is why I felt the need to post. Unlike many people, I want to try using a gun in a safe, legal environment, so don't start talking down to me like you're better than me.
    Expert

Apr 7, 2007, 03:49 PM
    Get off your high horse. If you are ever stopped with that gun in your car you are going to busted no matter what.

If you found my post insulting you must have a very large chip on your shoulder.

Phone your local Police Department if you want this information bad enough.

Apr 7, 2007, 03:58 PM
    On the contrary, if when stopped you declare that you have the gun and you are not doing anything suspicious (such as speeding away from a crime scene), there is nothing for you to get "busted" for as you're not violating any laws. Perhaps I will call my police department and ask them but I'd rather first try to find written laws and regulations instead of asking the opinion of whatever officer answers the phone. If I'm not mistaken, this forum is made for asking questions which is what I'm doing.

I don't know what you're trying to achieve with your messages. So far you've only made ignorant comments, and it appears that you don't have any real answers to my questions. What are you trying to do here?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2007, 12:09 AM
    Ok, calm down both of you.

I see from the time of your posts that they were all made between 5:47pm and 6:58pm EST.

I understand at that time, you both must have been on edge as the Leaf game started at 7pm.

Now we just have to hope the Islanders lose to the Devils tomorrow, but I hear it's unlikely the Devils will start Brodeur, but I mean, can you really blame them? I know Don Cherry is. I love Don Cherry.

As for your question Steve…

I myself have been looking into Ontario regulations regarding air pistols as of late.

From what I read, McGuinty wanted a flat out ban on them, and they might be strictly regulated now. I have just started looking into it, but if you want to talk a quick look at Ontario statute's, you can find them all at: E-Laws | Welcome to release 3
    Expert

Apr 8, 2007, 05:01 AM
    If he bans one (gun), Captain, he has to ban them all, otherwise what is the point. There were four more people shot on the streets of Toronto this week, one young fellow clinging to life now. They absolutely cannot find the flow of guns through the city; stings from tips help but its not finding out where they are coming from. It is really bad news when you read an article about random shootings, people being shot at from moving cars for no reason other then, probably, target practice.

I visited your web link, but I must be computer challenged because I couldn't find any reference to air pistol regulation on the site.
    The airgun champion Posts: 3, Reputation: 4

Apr 10, 2007, 03:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by steve22
    Hello, I'm considering buying an air pistol when I turn 18 (couple months from now). First though, I would like to know the laws and regulations for air guns/pistols in Ontario. The reason I want one is that they've always fascinated me and I'd frankly like to try shooting a handgun. I know an air gun won't be the same as a real gun, but I accept that. I am a responsible person and would never conceal it or use it for robberies and such, but I'm sure there are other less obvious laws and regulations that I need to know about.

I expect that I would be taking it into the nearby countryside to shoot it, which would be about 10 kilometres from the main city. I would be on other people's property, without their permission. If there are no posted "No Trespassing" signs, is this breaking any laws? Do I have to go farther out of town? Also, is there a certain distance that I have to be away from roads to legally fire air pistols?

I can't seem to find any official government legislation for these questions, as all my findings are regarding hunting or guns that need registration. I only really value information that's specific to Ontario and if necessary, Richmond Hill (my town), as I know a lot of it is different for different provinces and such. Thanks in advance.
    Hey there, yes it is legal to own and use a pellet air pistol. Airguns are considered firearms if they fire projectiles over 500 FPS[ feet per second] and all the guns that are sold here are all under that rating so anyone 18 or older can purchase them , technically , there's no law against it. You cannot fire an air pistol within the towns limits but you can use it in the comfort of your own home in the garage or in the basement if you have enough space. Anyway have fun , enjoy and be careful and always remember to take safety into account, wear eye protection , don't point it at any person , and don't shoot it outside.

Apr 10, 2007, 04:14 PM
    Oh and one more thing the best air pistol you should get is the crosman 2240 , very powerful and very excellent for target practice. They can be found at canadian tire for about $84.99 I believe . Just when you buy your air pistol don't open the package until you get home , read all the instructions and be careful.
    Expert

Apr 10, 2007, 04:45 PM
    Really, I am glad you affirmed the air pistol information, but I notice you don't say anything about firing air pistols on country property,and you say don't shoot it outside. Does this mean you have to have a home firing range ?

And why can't one open the package before getting it home. Does that mean that if one does, and one gets stopped by the police for a traffic infraction, etc. then the police would want to know why you have a gun, ergo, air pistol, sitting on the seat beside you, or in the back seat, or in the trunk of the car.

Apr 10, 2007, 05:28 PM
    In Ontario you have to transport these guns in the trunk of your car and in the most safest , sucurest manner possible. No , you cannot carry them in the glove compartment or the back seat because if you were to get pulled over and the policeman notices it , you're in big trouble. When it comes to shooting air pistols or rifles you cannot shoot them in public but you can shoot them on private property like a farm [ if its isolated] , your home [ basement or garage if there is enough space] , or even gun clubs.
    There are some airgun clubs in Ontario but I prefer my home.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2007, 08:19 PM
    I know nothing about air pistol laws in Ontario. And I'm not up on trespassing law up there either. But I will say it's very rude of you to go onto someone else's property without their permission to go shooting things. I'd assume that Canada is much like the US, where property is considered private, and you would still be trespassing even if it's not posted. Out in the country where my mom lives, you post the property because it's not always easy to tell where your piece of property ends and someone else's begins, not because you technically need to to charge someone with trespassing.
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 10, 2007, 08:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle
    Get off your high horse. If you are ever stopped with that gun in your car you are going to busted no matter what. For a air gun?

Phone your local Police Department if you want this information bad enough.
    This is the only way you can be sure, call the station and ask to talk to the Duty Sargent or lieutenant.

But if you just want one for target practice I can't imagine there would be a problem. The problems start when someone is threatened, or it is carried concealed, or carried into a public place. I am assuming you do not want to use it for self defense.
    Norwester Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2007, 04:24 PM
    Get real people! Air pistols are legal for hunting or target practice in Ontario and there is no law against using them in public on crown land in Ontario or on anyone's property where you have permission.

If you're stupid enough to display one anywhere else where someone could possibly think it's a real handgun then you deserve to get arrested. Toronto paranoia amazes me.
    pelletmaster Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2009, 09:43 AM
    Yes it is legal to carry an air pistol in your car. It is legal to fire them in your house, and (don't quote me on this because I'm not entirely sure) but I'm pretty sure it's legal to shoot them within city limits, since they are not considered firearms, but if a neighbor complains you might be in some sh*t.

Tickle is wrong, you can ignore everything he says.
    Expert

Jul 17, 2009, 10:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pelletmaster View Post
    Yes it is legal to carry an air pistol in your car. it is legal to fire them in your house, and (don't quote me on this because I'm not entirely sure) but I'm pretty sure it's legal to shoot them within city limits, since they are not considered firearms, but if a neighbor complains you might be in some sh*t.

Tickle is wrong, you can ignore everything he says.
    This original post is from 2007 and I don't appreciate 'ignore everything HE says', when if you read back through EVERYTHING you will find some of it was accurate.

Ms tickle
    marshall8021 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2009, 09:52 PM
    I had to comment here because this is in retarded. We have some - tickle... harping on some kid that just wonts his in gun. K honestly if anybody says don't shoot in the back yard because its not legal.. well to be honest I don't think it really matters. The most anyone's going to do is knock on your door or say hope that kid doesn't shoot his eye out. I ride my pocket bike around and have never been close to being caught. I'm not an "idiot" I do the odd ilegal thing for god sakes cops do ilegal stuff too. Anyway about the gun, if you want to take it some where or have it on you once in a while, I think ud be fine... as long... as your not acting like an "idiot" meaning waving the thing around , shooting people, etc but you seem very responsible so. But honestly if it late or something and you get unlucky and a cop pulls over maybe just for a little check up you could be ed lol. So if I were you keep it around your house maybe take it to the woods have fun enjoy it be safe and as long as your smart about things the police won't bother you. And for tickle.. u seriously need to loosen and live your life.
    marshall8021 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2009, 10:04 PM

last comment, lol I won't be as angry here lol
    about all the shootings in toronto... its not random and its not target practice with a bunch of people aimlessly shooting. Its gang violence, I don't know too much about toronto gangs but I know there over 50 of them at least. And they will never stop the gun flow, I'm not a bad kid, I don't do drugs and own guns, and I'm 16 and actually if I wanted to , I could get a gun ilegaly obviously. Now I'm definitely not intrested in that I'm just saying how easy it is to get them. But people being shot in toronto is gang and drug violance its just drug dealers and gang members killing each other. This isn't good but... u can't stop it and well they all have a choice to be in the gang or do that kind of stuff, and they all know what could happen so :/ be happy u don't live in south central LA
    hotgirls Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2009, 10:01 AM
    U are a goof piece3 of tickle if I seen you I would knock your out on tha streets ahha
    Expert

Nov 16, 2009, 10:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hotgirls View Post
    u are a goof piece3 of tickle if i seen u i would knock ur out on tha streets ahha
    And, hotgirls, why would you do that ? You would have quite a time, my dear, kicking my butt. Do you think I would stand still and let you do that ? You don't even know me, and if you did you wouldn't mess around.

Ms tickle

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Storing pistols - who is best desiccant vendor [ 2 Answers ]

I am preparing to display two WWII pistols in shadow boxes. The guns have sentimental value. Each box is 10" x 12" x 3" and can be made air-tight. I need to find out; how much desiccant to use (very humid in Georgia), how frequently to change it, and where to get it at a reasonable price. Is...

What to do in ontario? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Dated a girl in 1997-98, during which time she became pregnant.She told me she was on birth control, but forgot to get it filled! Was with her for 3/3 1/2 months of pregnancy.(but a year in total) At...

Michigan Physician Assistant Regulations [ 1 Answers ]

What are Michigan's regulations over P.A.'s. Do they have much freedom?

Basement Flat plumbing regulations and options [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, I live in a 1 bed basement flat at the mo with the kitchen and bathroom both on sani-flo as we are below the level of the mains. We want to convert the flat to 2 bed, 2 bath but now the regulations have changed and we've been told (by friends as opposed to the building regs...

View more questions Search