Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    melissa adams Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2014, 02:08 PM
    Won't eat or drink, lethargic
    My dog is a 14 year old lab mix. Still pretty spunky. Just took him on a walk yesterday. Ever since he got up this morning, he won't eat or drink and seems to be having a hard time walking and just standing. He has arthritis but his daily walks seem to help with that. Its Sunday - should I take him to the vet today or do you think its okay to wait until tomorrow?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 21, 2014, 04:06 PM
    Tomorrow.
    He's 14. Too old for surgery. Don't do what I did - a bunch of expensive tests, even though I knew it was really just time to put him down.
    And it's OK to tell the vet maybe one xray. Costs really add up. Don't feel guilty. Your dog is very very old.
    Give him the softest, warmest things to sleep on, more than just a dog bed. Pillows and comforters and your best down sleeping bag? And offer him anything he wants to eat, like hamburger (that's what my vet said), hand fed, try everything that won't hurt him. Let him sleep right next to you. He might like a heating pad on low under all the comforters.
    It's coddle time!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 21, 2014, 05:11 PM
    My lab lived to 16.

Whether to take him to the vet today, or wait until tomorrow, can really only be your decision. How much pain is he in? Obviously he's in enough pain that he's not eating, or drinking. That's pretty bad.

Me, I wouldn't wait. But this really has to be your decision.

Good luck.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2014, 05:13 PM
    I have done anesthesia on a 21 year old cocker. We have done surgery on plenty of 14 year old labs! (not like this sounds like the dog needs surgery in any sense of the word...)

When to take to the vet is your call. He may just be sore and need medication from your vet. Best to go when you can.
    current pert

Sep 22, 2014, 02:39 AM
    What kind of surgery on plenty of 14 year old labs? Benign skin lumps don't count. Neither do smaller breeds.
    Maybe it's just my personal belief that it's not fair to the dog.
    I feel the same way about myself as an older person. I have problems related to my slowly collapsing vertebrae as I get shorter, and I refuse to have surgery.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2014, 03:35 PM
    Just did an extensive dental + extractions on a 15 year old Golden today. Most of the surgeries in the geriatric larger breed dogs are removal of cancerous growths or dentals. Did do a cruciate surgery on a 13 year old lab last month.
    Small dogs count! A geriatric dog is a geriatric dog when it comes to surgery/anesthesia. I actually prefer anesthesia on older large dogs than small dogs.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2014, 03:47 PM
    A major consideration for the use of anesthesia would be underlying health conditions. Older or younger, other health concerns, apart from that which requires surgery, can alter the decision for surgery.

Many families will need to weigh the cost of continued, or advanced, treatment with suspected life expectancy of a pet.

To the op, I do hope that you had the chance to take your dog in to be examined and that the issue will be resolved easily.
    Pets Expert

Sep 22, 2014, 04:36 PM
    What kind of surgery on plenty of 14 year old labs? Benign skin lumps don't count. Neither do smaller breeds.
    Maybe it's just my personal belief that it's not fair to the dog.
    I feel the same way about myself as an older person. I have problems related to my slowly collapsing vertebrae as I get shorter, and I refuse to have surgery.
    Joy, here's the issue I have with both of your posts. You're assuming that this dog will need surgery, or extensive treatment. This could be something simple, easily solved, or just requiring medication. But only a vet can tell the OP for sure.

You're basing your post on your past experiences with your dogs, and your experience with getting older. That's not fair to the OP or her dog.

Not once in her post did she say that he needed surgery. She asked if she could wait a day to take her dog to the vet because the dog isn't eating or drinking. Nothing about surgery! But what was the first thing you said?

Tomorrow.
    He's 14. Too old for surgery.
    Yes, he's 14, he's an older dog. That doesn't mean he doesn't have the right to the same care that a younger dog does.
    current pert

Sep 22, 2014, 04:45 PM
    NO, I did not assume surgery at all. If it looks that way, I'm sorry. Nor did I imply that he doesn't deserve the same 'care' as a younger dog. Care as in examination and testing, and certain kinds of treatment. What I am saying is that IF the vet says that (major) surgery is an option, such as cancer, I wouldn't do it. I'd put the dear dog down. That doesn't make me an unfeeling monster. It isn't fair to draw such conclusions about what I said.

AND there's a possibility that this spunky dog is just in pain from something like arthritis or changes in the vertebrae hitting a nerve! There are many ways to help the aging dog in pain, from cortisone shots to glucosamine pills to warm baths and heated waterbeds or a heating pad and memory foam - on and on.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 22, 2014, 04:46 PM
    Benign skin lumps are full of blood vessels, that is why surgery is not recommended by some vets.

This is not the questions here though. OP has a senior citizen canine and they suffer the same way we do, but will go one no matter what. It is up to the OP to call the shots and I recommend doing the best for your pet who has loved you for so long and deserves an end that is painless. Some of us humans don't have that option.
    Pets Expert

Sep 22, 2014, 05:10 PM
    That doesn't make me an unfeeling monster. It isn't fair to draw such conclusions about what I said.
    I don't think you're an unfeeling monster, but the conclusions I drew from your post are very fair.

Please read your first post again, from the perspective of the OP.

I don't wish to fight with you Joy, not at all. But your first post amounted to saying "he's old, don't spend the money on expensive treatment, it's his time, just lay with him, give him whatever he wants to eat, hug him, and let him go".

I'm not even disagreeing with you that if he needs expensive surgery, the OP may want to consider ending the suffering for him. But until the OP goes to the vet there's no way to know if this is the end for this dog, and no matter what, the decision is the OP's, not ours.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 22, 2014, 06:08 PM
    Dogs do go down hill but he was good until just recently so take him to the vet. Yes, it could get pricey but he could also live for years. Sounds like he is in pain but not dying over night. I love my dogs, spent $2k for tests on one but he died anyway but it was worth it in my mind trying to save him. He saved me plenty of times.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dog suddenly is lethargic and won't eat. [ 2 Answers ]

Last night she wouldn't get up from her bed but she would drink water. This morning I got her to get up by putting a towel under her belly and helping her up to go out and relieve herself. She urinated okay but her poop was loose and had bright watery blood in it. She came back in and went right...

My pit bull won't eat or drink how to I get him to at least drink [ 1 Answers ]

My 3 and a half pit is sick and has a cough his caugh is better but he still won't eat and drink what can I do

Dog is lethargic and won't drink [ 8 Answers ]

I have a 5 year old Boxer that has been lethargic all day and I don't think she has drank anything all day either. I took her temp earlier and it was fine (101.3). I just can't sleep worrying about her not knowing if I should be taking her to the ER vet. Her gums are pink, she doesn't seem to be...

Lethargic Shih tzu won't eat or play [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, we just bought a 7 week old shih tzu today. It was quite docile at the breeder but we figured it was just his personality. He seemed to get lively a couple of times in the car, sitting up and panting but that was the most. We brought him home and spent a few hours with him and he wouldn't...

Lethargic Puppy Boxer won't eat [ 1 Answers ]

I just got a puppy Boxer who is very lethargic and won't eat, He just want to sleep all day. What should I do

View more questions Search