Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    b4babalu Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2007, 02:24 PM
    Missing Partition
    Hello, I recently installed 40 gig HD and installed the new OS on this 40 gig. I also have a 60 gig HD and it wasn't touched but somehow it lost a partition. Of course this particular partition has all my work on it, :( :confused: :eek: , is there a way to make sure that all is OK on this drive and perhaps find the missing partition? Need any further info please let me know!
    Thanks
    b4babalu
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Apr 7, 2007, 02:30 PM
    Try start / all programs /administrative tools /computer management /disk management and see if you can find it.
    You might just have to rename it. -- Savage

Apr 7, 2007, 03:06 PM
    Lol well that's a heck of a job to pull off beating you to it -- Savage

Apr 8, 2007, 05:07 PM
    Thanks for answering Savage,
    There is a problem--
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSavage
    try start / all programs /administrative tools /computer management /disk management and see if you can find it.
    you might just have to rename it. -- Savage

After clicking on the start, I don't have 'all programs' just 'programs'. Then I do not the following chices 'administrative tools/computer management/disk management'. My OS is Win 2000. Does this make a difference?

Apr 8, 2007, 05:24 PM
    Well that was not very nice of you -- this is from memory so I might be off a bit [And you know what they say about potheads]
    Start/ settings/control panel/ administrative tools /computer management /disk management

Then the same as above -- I am sure curly ben will be along to correct me if I am wrong -- Savage
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Apr 9, 2007, 06:52 AM
    Type "diskmgmt.msc" at the run prompt, will bring up the disk management window directly. :)

Apr 9, 2007, 11:40 PM
    :cool: I just wanted to say THANK YOU guys so much for your efforts! I guess I am just out of luck! Oh well, sa la vie!
    Still :confused: I know there's got to be a way out there somewhere!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 10, 2007, 01:03 AM
    TheSavage and HVAC are both spot one.
    Have you tried any of these suggestions ?

Apr 10, 2007, 11:36 AM
    Thanks for responding, and yes I have but did not find missing partition.:(
    Again thanks for everybodies help!!
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Apr 10, 2007, 12:05 PM
    How many partitions did the 60G have?

Does disk management recognize the 60G hard drive? What does it say?

The only way a partition can go "Missing" is if ALL partitions were deleted. In this case, disk management will show a 60G partition as unformatted or RAW, or something like that.

If a partition was deleted, disk management should still show that a partition once existed, but is now free space, unformatted or RAW, or something similar.

Your missing partition could simply be no drive letter was assigned. Disk Management will let you assign one, and it will appear in My Computer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to format one partition? [ 6 Answers ]

I partitioned h. drive 80 Gb on two partitions. One is for OS and applications (10 Gb) and other (the rest) for everything. I want to format 1st partition w/out damaging other because, I guess, it cougth a virus. How can I do this? Thank you.

Trobble finding a missing partition after formating [ 4 Answers ]

Hi My friend has formatted her toshiba laptop using the CD. She has windows prof home addition. After formatting she couldn't find the D partition and there was onely the C partition. Is there any way to find the D partition and if so how? It's very important that she finds it because she...

Partition problem [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Sony Vaio laptop. It came with a XP loaded and a partition with C 15gig and D60gig (approx). All operating system and programme files automatically save to C and I have just realised that it is very nearly full. I have done a thorough clean up putting all other files into D and trimmed...

Partition or not? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Maxtor hard drive with 41 GB of free space and 16GB of used space.It never really differs from this. Should I compress the drive which is a option in the Properties folder for the drive or partition and if so how? Thanks

View more questions Search