Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Trufox Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2014, 02:09 AM
    Difficult and strange situation with new girl
    Hello, thank you for taking time to read this!

Personal info: We're both ~24 and students

As I rarely feel something warm or precious in a person, I was lucky enough to meet a girl who finally sparked some feelings in me. I met her at a party and we hit it off. I never thought I'd see her again, however a few days later I saw her again at a friends birthday.
    I was oblivious to the fact that he (= my best friend) liked her. They have known each other for around a year, but she never had any romantic feelings towards him. He always told me he saw her as a beautiful person, and mainly as a friend.
    Anyway, at my friends birthday we started chatting and we quickly became close. She led me to a secluded place and we started getting more intimate. Until I forgot her name that was! She didn't respond with anger, but with hugs and told me it didn't matter. However, I was mad at myself and went home. She went to my friend and left in tears.

A few days later we agreed to meet and talk things over. The evening before this day, she had a conversation with our mutual friend and the conclusion of that conversation was that it might not be best to see each other again. She was very emotional about that since she sees him as a beautiful person, but isn't interested in him. While he, our mutual friend, does have unwanted romantic feelings for her.
    I went with her to a public park and started apologising for making her feel inadequate and unrespected. She laughed it off and wanted to apologize, but she couldn't clearly state a reason. She said that it's better for her to not see our friend again and in effect, me neither. I respect that. However I asked if she meant how she acted towards me that evening and she said she did. I answered that what I said that evening; that I liked her, I also meant. She did however deny that we we're intimate, and offered an explanation which didn't make sense.
    The rest of the conversation was very open and somewhat emotional. We talked about regret and hardships of friendship and romance, and we talked about philosophy. Her body language was extremely open and she laughed and touched me frequently. The whole 3 hour conversation, however fun, was tainted by the decision to probably not see each other again.

I plan on contacting her next week. She did seem interested, in ways I've only seen in movies before, and it would be a shame to leave it on such a sour note. I do not believe our mutual friend would have too much trouble accepting further contact. He said he needs time to explore his unwanted feelings for her. He also said that he thinks she likes me.
    I know I shouldn't make a big deal out of this. But I truly believe that her words were not proportionate to her behaviour. She does seem as interested in me as I am in her. However I'd like another opinion about this. What should I do? Should I truly not try and contact her again, or might it be worth it to pursue something more?

Sep 19, 2014, 02:23 AM
    Also, why can't I edit this post? I haven't received any activation link either... Ah well...

EDIT: I could after changing email. Never mind!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 19, 2014, 02:45 AM
    One thing you absolutely must do is learn to summarize. I did read this, but it was painful. You just have to understand that your readers aren't there, don't know anyone in the story, and therefore it's about as boring as it can be - sorry.
    OK, now for some advice:
    No one, no matter how much you write, can tell you whether someone likes you or not. I think she wants to give it a shot, given her willingness to talk with you for 3 hours. But what can that possibly mean, after one drunk night, and one sober day? Forget about anything you do or say when drunk. Concentrate on what happens now.
    You are both playing the typical cat and mouse game most people play when first getting to know each other. It isn't even a game so much as a test to see what the other person is thinking and feeling. It's too bad, because what the heck is wrong with saying, wow, something about you makes my heart go flip flop, or even 'I really like you?' You still have months to go to find out how compatible you are, but why cut off your chances of even finding out? If you get rejected with the old 'I like you too but just want to be friends,' then at least you aren't in deep.
    We all get rejected. Live and learn, but don't be too cautious. She's just as unsure about YOU as you are about HER. Once you realize that other people are wondering what you think too, and are afraid of rejection too, it will be easier to say how you feel.

Sep 19, 2014, 02:58 AM
    Thanks alot for your answer. I'll edit this story and summarize it more clearly. As I was writing this I also came to the conclusion that it's near impossible to write a completely coherent and complete overview of any social situation. Also, it's not the rejection I fear. She basically rejected me already, while sadly giving me huge mixed positive signals.
    Apologies, but also thanks for the advice.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 19, 2014, 04:53 AM
    You don't know her well enough to know if her words or action match or not, or how she really feels, so don't get yourself all wound up. I see nothing wrong with trying again in a week, you have nothing to lose, and have already been rejected once, plus if she gave you a way to contact her, then why not?

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 19, 2014, 06:21 AM
    She rejected you already? That's not the picture I get, and it's not the way the game (test) works. You didn't really read what I wrote. You picked out only what fit your needs. I think you needed to assume rejection because it's less risky. We can't make you try again, or to think there's good to come of this. We can only hope you try.
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2014, 06:52 AM
    Dude seriously - so much drama between you two and you just met? If I was you or if I was her I would run away from whichever one I wasn't. Drama this early only leads to more and more drama later, and then it just becomes an exhausting relationship. If you hadn't said that you were 24 years old I would have guessed middle school. I have been seeing the same person for 4 years now and we have yet to allow drama into our relationship. You should try a drama free living because it makes the relationship so much better.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Sep 19, 2014, 06:58 AM
    You were both drunk. Who knows what anybody means when they are drunk. This is too much drama for only interacting with each other a couple of times.
    Give it a week or so, stay sober and contact her again and see how it goes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difficult Situation [ 1 Answers ]

I just don't know what to do in this situation. Right where do I start? I have lost my job, my dad has terminal cancer and the cherry on top, I was dumped by my girlfriend after 7 years. Now because of all this, I have had to move back down with my parents, where I know no one! I'm trying to get a...

Difficult situation [ 1 Answers ]

As a child I was molested by two family members. One was my older brother and the other was my cousin. I never told anyone and my molesters didn't know about each other. My brother (after several teen years struggling with bi polar) is now a police officer with 3 small daughters. My cousin lives in...

Difficult Situation [ 4 Answers ]

Hey guys, I had been dating a girl for about 3 months and things were going quite well. Then one weekend she found out that her grandparent was very ill. The following Monday we went out and she was not the same at all. She seemed very distant and obviously had a lot on her mind. Slowly over the...

Difficult situation [ 1 Answers ]

I filed only my past due mortgage payments in my chapter 13 bankruptcy/state of Georgia. My community is included in a neighborhood improvement project where the homeowners will receive grant monies and or low interest loans. Also I will be able to sell my property to them as an option. My...

A difficult situation [ 8 Answers ]

First timer here Well anyway I've got a problem... and it has to do with this girl Let me start from the beginning... when summer was coming to an end one of my mom's friends told me that her friend and family was moving up. Well I've seen them before and they had a girl about my age and was...

View more questions Search