Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    the_nite_owl Posts: 56, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2014, 05:03 AM
    Question on basement window replacement
    I need to replace a few basement windows in an old home.
    The house has a rock wall foundation with a thick covering of cement on top and both sides of the area the windows are mounted with the top of the window in contact with the wood of the house.
    The current wooden windows are badly rotted from now resolved water problems and the cement they were attached to is crumbling.
    I suspect I will need to choose a window size that is close to what I need and build up a layer of fresh mortar in the area to fit the window into but I have never seen how basement windows are installed.
    Can anyone give me or point me to an overview of the process for an older home like this?
    All the information I have found talks about replacing windows with steel frames in the concrete but nothing about replacing older wooden windows and how to make it a nice solid fit. I do not want to have to order custom sized windows for every replacement needed but of course need them to fit solid.

Thanks.
    Trent
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 18, 2014, 05:25 AM
    Steel? No way. I would use solid vinyl.
    Only you can know if they have to be custom or not. Since custom sizes are so expensive, I think it would be worth choosing standard sizes and re-mortaring the foundation to the required rough opening. If you haven't done that before, it would be worth it to hire a stone and mortar contractor who really knows the trade, or you will have something that crumbles off in a few years.
    Then it's just a matter of caulking around the window to fill in 1/8-1/4" gap at most.
    The specs with the windows will tell you what fasteners to use for a rubble foundation, or contact them, or the lumberyard will know.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2014, 02:18 PM
    Chances are there are no standard size for that application. Are they double hung , slider or just a sash in a frame? Post a picture and lets see what you have.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacement window [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, Looks like another window is in need of replacement (on the photo). I want to put a new window of the same size as this old one into the same woodwork; also, want to get a window with nail flanges and of the right size to make installation easier. To measure the exact window frame...

Converting basement window into basement door [ 3 Answers ]

I have a raised ranch house that I've convert the garage into a function room, now I would like to convert one of the garage window into a back door that leads to the backyard. In order to do that we will need to cut through concrete/brick wall but I'm not sure if cutting through it would bring...

Gapco window leaking.replacement part or whole new window? [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I have Gapco windows in my 1994 townhome and the small hard rubber flat part along the bottom of the window that is to keep out rain water has shrunk and now lets water leak in during a rain. Can I replace that piece or do I need a whole new window? Thanks so much for your advice. ...

Window Replacement [ 5 Answers ]

I need to replace window (doesn't have to be new... as long as it look descent). The current one looks foggy. . Advise me where to contact.. . [email protected] Thanks, Slim30

Replacement window [ 2 Answers ]

I want to change out an replacement window installed 10 years ago. What's procedure to follow,to get new window with correct measurements????? Thanks :)

View more questions Search