Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sagnik2422 Posts: 77, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2014, 07:23 PM
    Managerial Accounting Selling Price Question
    Northwood Company manufactures basketballs. The company has a ball that sells for $35. At present, the ball is manufactured in a small plant that relies heavily on direct labor workers. Thus, variable expenses are high, totaling $21.00 per ball, of which 60% is direct labor cost.
    Last year, the company sold 41,000 of these balls, with the following results:

Sales (41,000 balls) $ 1,435,000
    Variable expenses 861,000

Contribution margin 574,000
    Fixed expenses 420,000

Net operating income $ 154,000

I answered a variation of the question correctly as follows:

Due to an increase in labor rates, the company estimates that variable expenses will increase by $2.80 per ball next year. If this change takes place and the selling price per ball remains constant at $35.00, what will be the new CM ratio and break-even point in balls? (Do not round intermediate calculations.)

I got CM ratio as 32% and unit sales to break even as 37,500 balls

But I am stuck on this part of the continued problem:

Refer again to the data in (2) above. The president feels that the company must raise the selling price of its basketballs. If Northwood Company wants to maintain the same CM ratio as last year, what selling price per ball must it charge next year to cover the increased labor costs? (Do not round intermediate calculations. Round your answer to 2 decimal places.)

My work : I tried to use formula CM ratio = unit contribution margin/ unit selling price and plugged in 40% = 11.2 / x but the answer this yielded was wrong. Please help with steps on how to solve :)
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2014, 11:25 PM
    You need to develop an understanding of breakeven analysis
    sagnik2422 Posts: 77, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2014, 08:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    You need to develop an understanding of breakeven analysis
    Can you show me how that applies in this question please ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Find selling price in accounting? [ 0 Answers ]

With the following data per 10000 unit : Artwork $65 Machine setting 4 hours @$22/hour Paper $12.50 per 1000 units Ink & consumables $40 Printer wages 4 hours @ $8/hour Fixed overhead $15000 per period, total 600 labor hours. Mark up 30% Find selling price per 1000 leaflets for...

Selling price accounting? [ 1 Answers ]

The express banquet has two restaurants that are open 24- hours a day. Fixed costs for the two restaurants together total 459,000 per year. Service varies from a cup of coffee to full meals. The average sales check per customer is 8.50. The average cost of food and other variable costs for each...

Cost Accounting - How to compute the selling price. [ 2 Answers ]

I was given that the breakeven point is revenues of 1,000,000, fixed costs are 400,000, and variable costs are $12 per unit. I need to find the selling price.

View more questions Search