Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kiko53 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2007, 10:37 AM
    Debt Collectors
    Is it legal for a debt collector to ask a minor where his or her parent is at(when they aren't home) and then tell the minor that they will keep calling "monday, tuesday, wednesday, and so on." (If they do not answer that question.)??
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2007, 04:37 PM
    There is nothing illegal in the debt collector's telephone conversation with the child.

If the debt collector is calling, and the parent allows the child to answer, this is one of the many standard collection procedures followed. We may not like, but it in not illegal. If you find this behavior disturbing, I suggest that you or another adult who is home at the time, pick up the phone and speak to the debt collector directly. If the child is home and an adult is not readily available, the child should be instructed not to pick up the phone, to spare him/her this conversation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Debt Collectors [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Toronto, Canada and I purchased something back in 2001. I had lost my job and didn't go back to work until 1 1/2 yrs ago and the company bugged me by calling asking for money right up until about 1 1/2 yrs ago. I received a phone call tonight by a credit company (HSBC) saying that they...

Harassing debt collectors [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Its me again. I don't have any new news regarding my previous post. I have a new question. I have been paying on another old debt from Citibank. I have paid faithfully until last month, when my funds were limited. A collector from Academy services called me on a daily basis with...

Debt collectors [ 2 Answers ]

Is it legal for debt collectors to call aquaintances in order to contact me about a debt? Do they get phone numbers from my phone records

Abusive debt collectors [ 6 Answers ]

I am behind on my bills due to a temporary financial crisis but continue to pay as I'm able - about one to two months behind on a few debts. I am unemployed but working as a temp pending a court decision about whether I can leave Minnesota with my son (his father contests the move - we are...

Debt collectors [ 6 Answers ]

Is there a time limit to collecting a debt?

View more questions Search