Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harryhutsonsr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2014, 03:08 AM
    How to safely remove an attached cinderblock chimney
    Cinderblock chimney on 1961 house has crumbling joints and is unusable. It has even been gradually leaning way from the house as noted on the inside bricked wall-1/2 inch in last 6 years. We had it inspected about 8 years ago and it was declared unsafe to use even then. Now it is leaning. It is a single story block home. We plan to replace chimney with a bay window. How can I safely remove chimney and bricked inside wall?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2014, 07:52 AM
    The only real was is to take it apart piece by piece, starting at the top. After all is gone, start demo on the FP with a sledgehammer. If you have enough side clearance and a good truck, you may be able to use a steel cable and pull it down.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to remove tiles that were cemented onto cinderblock [ 1 Answers ]

Hi we have an old shower and in removing the tiles, the bottom pieces were cemented onto the cindblock.wich is the part of the house structure. We are using a chisle and hammer but its not taking off the center pieces of the tile. Any suggestions as to how to remove these tiles?

Can I remove a few bricks from the middle of the chimney stack from my fireplace? [ 2 Answers ]

I want to remove the bricks from the part of the stack that is in an upstairs room so I can temporarily feed some ducting into it? I will be removing an area of about a Sq Foot

How to safely remove coins from capsules? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello friends, In an effort to place what coins I need to, in their proper albums I need to safely remove a lot of them from their US Mint capsules. What is the best method/s for doing this? How do the major coin grading services accomplish this feat. Your help will be forever appreciated. (No...

Taking down a cinder block chimney safely. [ 3 Answers ]

I need to take down our free standing, against the house, cinder block chimney, with a clay liner. The house is a 1 1/2 story house. The Chimney is located close to the peak of the roof area. There is about an inch space between the chimney and the house. Right now I have metal straps...

How to remove paint from basement cinderblock . [ 1 Answers ]

Last weekend's nor'easter was more than my 75-year-old basement could stand. Water infiltrated through at least two of the original cinderblock foundation walls. Considering how much rain we had, the amount of seepage wasn't extreme (small rivulets flowing from a few places under the sheetrock)...

View more questions Search