Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    comvet Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2014, 11:40 AM
    "Frozen" Shower Diverter
    I have a bathtub shower diverter, made of brass. The shower has not been used for a couple of years, and now the diverter is stuck, or "frozen" - brass on brass - from corrosion. Does anyone know of a way to free the diverter, without breaking into the wall and cutting the pipes, to replace the diverter, etc.?
    Thanks
    comvet
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2014, 03:15 PM
    Please tell us the brand and the model number, also if you can post a picture will help, I attached a link below if that will help, Thanks.

John

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/fix...r#.VA98Wu90ypo

Sep 9, 2014, 07:38 PM
    Not sure of the brand - all the fixtures are Kohler, and the diverter is moved by a handle separate from the cold and hot water faucets. The diverter is behind the tile - only the handle, stem are visible. Tried to lubricate with WD-40, but no luck. Hoping someone knows how to 'un-freeze' it, without tearing out the tile, and cutting the pipe, to replace the diverter. Thanks, comvet
    Chawmp Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Sep 9, 2014, 07:57 PM
    Try removing the handle and tapping lightly on the end of the stem with a hammer. As a last resort, you could grab onto the stem with Vice-Grips and turn it. Get the Vice-Grips as tight as you can as close to the wall as you can and try not to strip the brass.

Not to insult your intelligence, but be sure to turn counterclockwise with firm, steady pressure.
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2014, 08:42 PM
    Hello Comvet,

See the images below is for 3 handles or knobs faucet, if yours look like this you need to remove the handle or knob and buy a socket to fit the packing nut remove the stem and replace it with a new one open the link below will give you an idea , good luck.

John

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjmAZjfpEq8
    Attached Images

Sep 10, 2014, 07:29 AM
    Thanks for the ideas, I've tried the hammer (tapping), vice grip, and a small pipe wrench, but the diverter stem won't budge. Guess my only option is to break the tile and replace the pipes + diverter.comvet
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2014, 11:44 AM
    Can you take a picture of the diverter and post it? also is your faucet similar to the images that have in post #5, if so have you removed the packing nut if that is removed I have another solution, Thanks.

John

Sep 10, 2014, 02:52 PM
    I have removed the packing nut; I believe the problem is the sleeve around the diverter - the sleeve is round and also located behind the tile, so I am unable to get any tool like a vice grip, etc. on it with enough leverage to turn it.
    I will take a picture and post it, but it may not be clear.
    Thanks
    comvet

Sep 10, 2014, 03:20 PM
    Here is the best pic I could get - (jpg file)Attachment 46565
    Attachment 46565

Sep 10, 2014, 04:11 PM
    From the picture I posted, can you tell if the "sleeve" I mentioned earlier is really a sleeve, or part of the pipe/housing the diverter, and not removable?
    Thanks again
    comvet
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 10, 2014, 04:24 PM
    If you have the packing nut off the stem try sprayting CLR into the seam between the stem and the valve body. Sprayt several times and allow to soak.
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2014, 06:18 PM
    Your pictures not uploaded, as Bob says try CLR or spray some vinegar into the cavity, Thanks.

John

Sep 10, 2014, 07:00 PM
    The picture was posted in #9 reply in the thread. Posting it again, here
    Attachment 46566
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2014, 10:05 PM
    It does not show in your post, do you know how to post a picture, if not we will walk you through, Thanks.

John
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2014, 10:31 PM
    Hello Comvet,

Here is how you can attach a picture to your post, Thanks.

In the quick answer box.
    1. Click on the go advance, will take you to manage attachment page.
    2. Click on add a file.
    3. Click on browse it will take you to your picture if it is on desktop or in a file.
    4. Select you picture.
    5. Click on open then click on upload.
    6. Close the manage attachment page.
    7. Submit your answer.

Good luck,

John

Sep 11, 2014, 08:11 AM
    Here is the pic
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2014, 01:23 PM
    You need a 3/$" deep socket to fit the stem and a bolt that will go in top stem and some washers, now tighten the bolt until the stem is lose, good luck.

John
    Attached Images

Sep 11, 2014, 04:14 PM
    Thanks, John, but I'm not following your thought. What size deep socket, and where is the "bolt" inserted in the stem?
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2014, 04:50 PM
    I am not 100% sure if this work but it worth a try before breaking in to the wall, see the image below you need a long socket to fit on top of red circle and be about 1/2" above the end of the stem and install a bolt the size of the screw for the handle , good luck.

John
    Attached Images

Sep 11, 2014, 04:51 PM
    John, a 3/8" deep socket fits, and I think I understand what you are suggesting, to use the washers and create a "puller" using the screw to tap into the end of the stem. The stem is solid brass and less than 3/8" in diameter. What size screw do you think I need to use? And what type - a self-tapping screw or? What do you suggest?
    Thanks
    comvet

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower w/o diverter. Will a diverter tub spout give me a shower and bath option? [ 4 Answers ]

Had k-t14776 and k-304-ks recently installed. Now I'm told I have no shower capability. Will purchasing a diverter tub spout give me options for both a shower and bath?

Moen shower H2O diverted to shower when diverter not pulled [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Moen shower with toe tester, when filling the tub, if I turn on the water to more than half of the full water pressure, the water starts to come out of the shower head as well as the spout without pulling the diverter. The diverter is still in the tub position. How can I fix this, and does...

Shower diverter [ 2 Answers ]

The little rubber washer is broken in my shower diverter, and it seems no stores have what I need. I have checked mednards, ace and Lowe's. I would like to know how to find the right part, what it is called and where to get one. I have looked online, but they do not look like the one out of my...

Shower diverter leaks into tub when turned to shower [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to replace my shower diverter valve since it leaks into the tub significantly when turned to the shower. It's a 3-knob system (hot, diverter, cold) and I don't know the brand. I've gotten the knob off, the surrounding piece off, and one nut off, but I'm not sure what to take off next...

View more questions Search