Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Baileynation Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2014, 02:43 PM
    Can I sue my dentist for not treating me mistakenly saying I owed money but didn't
    My dentist wouldn't treat me saying I owed money, but I find out the dentist actuly owed me money. I was overcharged and was due a credit. I suffered for 3 months and was harassed weekly by a collection agency. I asked to get my credit back and was told the dentist would no longer treat me. Telling me to take her to court to get it back.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 8, 2014, 02:54 PM
    Of course you can sue. You pay a fee, fill out some papers, prove your case with copies of proof of payments, and send it in. You can either have a court date or the defendant can decide to just pay you (including the filing fee you paid, often about $50).
    Be sure your proof is good and well organized or you might lose.
    You won't get anything for suffering for 3 months. You should have gone to another dentist and sued sooner.
    The dentist (if wrong) will be ordered to fix your credit rating.

Why is the dentist being so nasty?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 8, 2014, 03:24 PM
    Anyone can sue over almost anything. The main question is whether you can win a suit. The secondary question is whether its worthwhile to bring suit. The answer to both those questions in your case is NO, in my opinion. Without knowing why the dentist thought you owed money, we can't tell if he was negligent or not. If he wasn't then you will lose. Even if he or his accountant was negligent, you will have a hard time proving damages.

As far as not seeing a dentist for 3 months, there had to be other dentists you could have seen. So that's more on you then the dentist.

While it doesn't cost much to sue in small claims, the time and effort you expend will be significant. And, like I said, I don't think you will win.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 8, 2014, 08:01 PM
    If the dentist actually owed you money, you can sue for that money back.

You can not sue, for not being treated, you just go, to another dentist if you needed treatment.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2014, 04:56 AM
    I agree with everyone else... you basically shot yourself in the foot for not going to another dentist. And its quite common to refuse service when money is believed to be owed until its settled. There are plenty of other places to go in the mean time. If it was as bad as you claim with "suffering" you would have sought out treatment elsewhere.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I sue the dentist [ 5 Answers ]

Went in with an infected tooth. Shot me up to see first if infection would interfere with the numbing processs. It was a go. So an hour and 45 min later, twisting, pulling, tugging and finally cutting the tooth in three pieces and several more injections of what ever he was using he was done. ...

How do I sue a dentist? [ 10 Answers ]

I have just had my braces removed. My dentist is the most unprofessional man I have ever met. He would have me in the waiting room for hours. I would have a 10 am appt. and would not leave until 4 pm. I lived about 4 hours away and his office was aware of this, and yet I would show up for an...

Why didn't to my dentist in the first plaice [ 1 Answers ]

I have had a upper front crown that my dentist wanted to take out over 15 months ago, but I thought I knew better moved to another one who patched it up. Which seemed to do the trick apart from his manner dentist from hell, so I knew I wasn.t going back to him so plodded on it lasted about 6...

Can I sue for money owed from an ex? [ 7 Answers ]

My ex and I had a long distance relationship and he was in the military. He lived in another state. Before he left on a 6 month deployment we agreed that I'd take care of his two Rottweilers. We were still in a relationship at this time. A couple days before he left for his deployment, I...

Can I sue for money owed me from an ex boyfriend? [ 7 Answers ]

I entered into a relationship in 2006. I had $50,000 in cash from the sale of a house and over $300,000 in retirement money. I had hardly any debt at that time. My ex boyfriend and I went through that money supporting both of us. He was unemployed during most of the time. I am now down to...

View more questions Search