Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JOE HORSE Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2005, 07:01 PM
    78 Ford F350
    I have a 78 F350 with 460 V8. My problem is that in the morning when I first start up I usually have heavy oily smoke 1 or 2 minutes into the warmup, I say usually because sometimes it doesn't smoke. This always stops after about 5 to 10 minutes and doesn't smoke for the rest of the day.What's up?
    chubaka Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2005, 07:36 PM
    That could be a sign of worn valve guide seals. They expand a bit as they warm up and hold back the oil.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2005, 07:39 PM
    My guess is that oil is leaking from the valve covers into the combustion chamber over night. Most likely it is the valve guides. That it doesn't happen sometimes may have to do with which valves are open. I don't know if valve guides can be replaced without removing the heads or not. That would be a big job. Maybe live with it unless you think you may have other valve or gasket problems.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2005, 11:48 PM
    Could be worn valve guides, since most are just rubber seals, actually my friend would tell you worn valve guides are not bad, just they will use a little oil at startup but the oil the valves better :D , oh and I want to ask, is it relatively cold there, if it is most cars smoke in the cold due in fact to it being cold and the hot exhaust coming out. One of the two, probably valve guides but I'm debating that since they last a long time usually. Do you like fords, :D just wondering.
    tracker52 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2005, 06:15 AM
    No Smoking
    Howdy,
    New 2 this forum. Been working on trucks n eqpt for way 2 long n hope this will help. Yep worn valve guides, seals. Or pluged oil return on the heads.
    Quick fix, remove covers, spark plugs. Use compression gauge hose screwed
    Into spark plug hole, make sure out of gear, remove rockers. Air up one cyl at a time with compressor, watch out engine will turn over pushing piston down.
    Tap the top of valve spring wasker with hammer 2 loosen keepers. U will have 2 have a spring compressor, something to hold down spring so keepers can be
    Removed with magnet. Remove spring, old seals. Care not to release air in cyl, valve will fall in cyl, bummer. Replace seal with quality seal. 1 valve at a time.
    Replace spring n keepers. Tap top of valve to seat keepers. Put all back together n let er role. This job takes some time n care. Lots of rags. Seen a 460 with 400k n still going. I make my own spring comp n cyl airer upper.
    Hope this helps.
    tracker52
    libertymetal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2010, 10:52 PM
    Put a qt of lucas oil stabalizer and a some lucas enjecter cleaner in in will help a lot and make in run like new again put the whole bottle of enjecter cleaner in git the big qt bottle not the little bottle it will not harm it if you put it all in and fill up with hi actain gas it will help a lot give it a try

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 91 ford rager w/2.3 [ 1 Answers ]

OK guys my? Is I put another used 2.3 in my ranger at first it ran OK then it went to running rough and backfireing I changed the coil packs that took the backfire away but it was still running rough then I stopped working on it for about a week went out yesterday and tried to start it but it would...

My ford 2.3 in a 91 ranger [ 3 Answers ]

Hey guys my problem is that I just swaped out a 2.3 for another 2.3 and when it runs it idles fine for a little bit then it seems like starts to miss then boggs out and dies and back fires like a cannon so bad it blew a brand new muffler out of round it kind of seems like it gets a rich smell of...

View more questions Search