Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0

Sep 8, 2014, 09:38 AM
    Modular homes
    My friends house is so bad it has to be torn down. She wants a home
    Built there but has very limited funds... and this is upstate New York.
    She thought a modular home would be possible but no one posts
    Costs involved.

Do you think this is an option for someone who only has less then
    $150,000. Forget the bank... she's a senior, they'd never lend her
    The money... besides, she still has a small morguage to pay off.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2014, 12:25 PM
    Has she checked with Habitat for Humanity? Maybe she can downsize to a 1BR? Define modular please-=true modular or doublewide trailer? Yu didn't give us a city so we can't do any looking. Upstate NY is pretty depressed as far as home pricing goes.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 8, 2014, 03:34 PM
    Actually upstate NY is home to some of the companies that provide modules for builders all over the northeast.
    She would contact 3 licensed builders in her area, getting references and checking their license number against the state license database. I don't know what the term for a full general contractor is in NY state, but be sure she knows.

Of course no one posts prices! A square foot price is just a starting place. Her foundation has to be measured to fit, and it has to be in usable condition. And so on. Too many variables.

Tearing her home down won't be cheap. A modular home won't be as cheap as she is hoping. She still has some of her mortgage. She will have a new, higher property tax.
    She can't do all this for $150,000.

She really is better off getting a trailer, or selling the property and going into senior housing.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 8, 2014, 08:25 PM
    I will have to agree, getting a hold house, torn down, and removed, and a modular most likely can not be done, for 150,000, esp if there is a loan to pay off.

I guess first, is the house, really that bad, a lot of repair can be done for 150,000. I have almost totally remodeled homes for less than that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Default on modular home [ 1 Answers ]

I live in southern Calif. Our city has a program for 1st. Time buyers where they will lend you $15,000.00 toward your purchase of a home. I bought a mobile home and paid cash for the balance June 2012. Which only leaves me rent I pay for the space. I've lost my job. So I'm doing side jobs to get...

My older modular home [ 2 Answers ]

My older modular home's furnace's pilot light goes out every time it is windy. Its impossible to relight it because of the strong draft that keeps blowing out the lighter. I did put on a chimney cap but it hasn't helped the problem. My area is very windy so this is a huge problem for me. What...

Modular Curbs [ 1 Answers ]

Hi , We would like to install some modular curbs on a concrete floor that can be bolted down using anchor bolts to make an area watertight around an electrical panel/cable tray. Does anyone know of a manufacturer for this type of product. I am envisioning straight sections that can be cut to length...

Modular home [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to find a bathroom ceiling light to work with my existing fan, the opening in the ceilling is 7.5" x 7.5" and will the existing wiring to the fan be OK to power up the light

Modular house in PDX, OR [ 1 Answers ]

I want to move to PDX. OR in about 8 years. What are your opinions on a modular home? We want to kind of design it ourselves. My sister and I will want 2 master suites, 1 guest room, a great room with an open kitchen and if possible an apartment over a 3 car garage. Is this kind of owner designing...

View more questions Search