Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    13ecca91 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2014, 03:27 AM
    Trouble with puppy training
    Hi there.
    2 weeks ago our new puppy came home with us. He is a Lhaso Apso X Bichon and is 10 weeks old.
    I know I have only had him for 2 weeks and I don't expect him to be potty trained yet but he just doesn't seem to be getting it at all.
    Our routine at the moment goes a little something like this...
    First thing in the morning he is taken outside to go potty. He usually wees straight away. We have a prompt word "wee wee" and he is given a small piece of cooked chicken as a treat. He then has his breakfast around 7:30 and half an hour later is taken out to go potty again which he most always does.
    The problem seems to be throughout the day. Someone is home with him all the time and he is taken outside ever 2.5 hours, after ever play time or after waking up. Now some times he does go potty when we take him out and he is treated as above and then other times he just wants to play and mess around. We give him no attention when we take him to go potty untill he goes. Sometimes he goes to lie down so we stand him back up but nothing. I've waited now between 10-30 minutes and nothing so we then bring him inside and plan to go out again in 10 minutes time but as soon as you bring him in, you close the door, turn round and he's squatting on the carpet or rug. We say "NO" in a stern voice and go to pick him up to put him outside again. Sometimes he finishes off (and gets praised) then other times he doesn't. He usually goes to bed around 11pm and is taken out just before and again is usually very good and always goes. At night he sleeps on my bed and is fantasic. He never wakes up to go potty and has never had an accident during the night.
    Am I doing the right thing? Is it just a case of keep going and he will get it? Could it be his breed?
    Any help would be appreciated as it's starting to drive my parents round the bend!
    Many thanks.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 6, 2014, 03:36 AM
    Gosh ! He is only l0 weeks old, still a baby, you have to be patient with him in your routine which seems to be a good one. Keep at it, he will get it eventually. I would not be giving him cooked chicken though, out of your hand. This could reinforce a habit you don't want to get into which is him starting to think he will only be fed something tasty by hand and eventually not eat his dog food, however good it may be !
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 6, 2014, 07:27 PM
    A puppy isn't even able to hold his bladder for long until at least 4 months of age. At 10 weeks he will have accidents. Training is just beginning, and it will be a mix of teaching him what to do, and waiting for his body to mature enough so he'll be able to do it.

Patience. After 2 weeks, and at only 10 weeks of age, you're expecting way too much out of this puppy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Potty training an eight month old puppy from a puppy store [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I were at a pet store a week ago and saw the cutest little 8 month old Ratpoo. He was 'on sale' as they were trying to get rid of him as he had been there for 8 months. Our hearts broke for him so we decided to take him home (we also have a 6 YO lab/pit mix girl). We put him in a...

How to go from outside training to potty pad training for our puppy? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a two month old shih zui puppy and she is very well trained in using the bathroom outdoors. In this cold weather I find that she shivers a lot while outside and I always make sure she has a coat/sweater on. How can I get her to at least during the colder months or during rainy days to use...

Having trouble with training my dogs. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I currently have 5 month old puppy that I am training. He does extremely well with loose leash walking... on his own. Anytime we walk with my other dog (who is 2yrs old) he acts like he forgot everything. They both seem to pull constantly and ignore any commands. If I have one dog and my...

Training my puppy. [ 15 Answers ]

I was wondering what I should be training my nine week old puppy to do. So far she asks to go to outside to go potty(not consistently, but she will whine or stare at me) and I can get her to sit when I have her attention(which at nine weeks is hard to keep :P). Is there a website or a chart...

Training my puppy. [ 2 Answers ]

:confused:ok so I have a one yr old morkie.. I have had him since he was just 3 months old.. and he was fine then.. but now he's crazy lol... he will run around the house being crazy... if I try to pet him he will back up even when I have food in my hand and I call him he will come to me but won't...

View more questions Search