Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fhc61 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2014, 04:10 PM
    Clumping Cat litter in the toilet
    I live in an apartment complex in a duplex style unit - no units above, only 2 units side-by-side. I have a toilet leaking from the bottom when flushed. Maintenance says they found cat litter when they tried to snake it, and they are now slowing trying to get all of the muddy and hard cat litter out. They are calling a plumber to come in and get it out. Now there may be people out there who would do something as irresponsible as flushing cat litter down the toilet, but I am not one of them. I have 2 sons and they didn't do it either. I am told that because of the way the whole plumbing and sewer systems are set up in apartments, it's possible this could have come from my neighbor. Is that possible? Right now I am being overruled by all management and being held responsible for carpet cleaning and the plumber. And I couldn't get a sample of the cat litter from the toilet to have tested to compare to the brand I use.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 5, 2014, 04:42 PM
    If your neighbor has cats as you do, its certainly possible. But the damages are in YOUR apartment, and unusual enough for the costs to be passed to you. Proving its NOT you is daunting. What if your neighbor uses the same brand as you do?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 5, 2014, 05:02 PM
    Maintenance says they found cat litter when they tried to snake it
    I don't see how that is possible. Cat litter is some combination of sand and clay and is granular. Sewer snake would break it up and it would then wash away. Being granular the snake would not pull anything back.

I am not there to see what is happening but if they are pulling back something muddy and hard it is probably clay. Which means you have a broken or crushed sewer pipe.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 6, 2014, 09:11 AM
    . I am told that because of the way the whole plumbing and sewer systems are set up in apartments, it's possible this could have come from my neighbor. Is that possible?

Anything's possible, However, I've plumbed hundreds of duplex style units and they all have a separate drainage system with its own clean out, That's code.
    Have we asked just who has cats? Bottom line! Unless you can
    Prove that your drainage is commingled You bear the expense. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cat after first litter [ 2 Answers ]

My cat had her first litter of kittens she had four all healthy her second litter all died they were premature she had 7 what could be the cause of this

What to do when a cat has their first litter? [ 41 Answers ]

Earlier this summer, we got a new kitten. Her name is Sheba and she is adorable! Well time passed and now she is about a year and a half. She is an outside cat and lately she has gotten very rounded, but at the back mostly of her stomach. Her nipples seem pinker then usual and bigger. I would...

Took in a stray abused cat from outdoors; but cat get it to go in the litter box! [ 9 Answers ]

Please help! My roommate and I have recently took in a stray beaten up cat. When she took her to the vet she ended up dropping loads of money on this cat to help her. She has a giant wound, and has a respitory infection, she was very mal nutritioned- she's skin and bones.. the whole nine yards....

Cat litter? [ 9 Answers ]

My friend is pregnant and has four cats, she heard recently, cat poo/litter emits a toxic chemical leading to birth defects.. has any one heard of this? And could give me more info?

Cat Litter [ 1 Answers ]

How do I stop my cat from rolling around in the litter? Why does a cat do this?

View more questions Search