Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnmpayne Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2014, 12:55 PM
    Dimmer wiring of LED office light fixtures
    We want to add a dimmer to LED light fixtures on a single circuit.

An electrician states the dimmer cannot simply be wired into the light switch panel. Each fixture must be individually wired to the dimmer switch.

Is he correct, or is he trying to inflate the contract?

Thanks.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2014, 01:44 PM
    The only reliable way to tell how an LED light source will behave when dimmed is to actually test it. Otherwise, you might be in for an unpleasant surprise. But to be accurate, such testing should include the whole circuit, not just a single LED source with a single dimmer — because all dimmers have a minimum and a maximum number of LED sources they can effectively operate, and these limits can vary with the make and model of the LED source, the remote driver (where applicable), the dimmer, and (for low-voltage systems) the transformer. What’s more, variations in any part of the system can affect dimming performance, which means that substituting a different lamp, driver, transformer, or dimmer for what was originally specified can lead to dimming problems. Try it with 1 dimmer and see how it works. One issue is that the load for LED's (very low) can make the dimmers not function properly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring LED dimmer switch problem [ 9 Answers ]

Installing LED under counter lighting with dimmer switches - 1 switch for left of sink; one for right. Replacing previous switches that controlled all lights with R switch and disposal with L switch. Separated light wiring from R switch; removed disposal wiring completely. Have single hot, common...

Chandelier wiring with dimmer, when dimmer connects to dimmer that controls spots [ 8 Answers ]

Hi there, I had an electrician come and re-wire our main floor. He added spot lights everywhere. At the time we did not have a chandelier for our dinning room. Now, we have purchased it and are trying to install it, however are having a little difficulty. Here is our problem; in the dinning room we...

Wiring a dimmer switch for a light [ 9 Answers ]

I am trying to wire a dimmer switch for a light. I have 4 wires coming out of the wall . Grey, black, pink and a copper wire. I assume the blk is hot, copper is ground and I do not know what the grey and pink do. All I know is that the old switch that was there was a standard light switch and when...

Replaced light fixtures and installed dimmer, no power to two rooms [ 8 Answers ]

I:confused: installed 5 ceiling fixtures (2bathrooms & 3 bedrooms) and a dimmer switch in one of the bedrooms. Now a bedroom and bathroom have no power. The bedroom with the dimmer switch works and I have pulled all the lights apart in search of any faulty connections. I have also rewired the...

Wiring two light to a dimmer [ 3 Answers ]

I have a power source to the switch. I also have 14/3 wire to the light. Do I need to have 14/3 to the next light as well. How do I wire the first and second light. Thanks Diane

View more questions Search