Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Inaru Posts: 76, Reputation: 4

Sep 4, 2014, 04:33 AM
    Training a dog to go potty on newspaper?
    Can you do that? If so, how? I'd like to be able to lay down newspaper on a rainy day so they won't have to go outside. They hate it and so do I. Today is a stormy morning and we had to stand outside and get wet.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 4, 2014, 04:37 AM
    Use an umbrella. Why in the world anyone would want their dog to urinate and deficate in their home is beyond me.

With that said, you would be giving the dog mixed messages and confusing them as to what it means to be housebroken.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 4, 2014, 09:48 AM
    My dogs go out in the rain because THEY NEED TO. I don't go with them, but keep a towel at the door when they come in.

I would never ever consider letting them do their business on newspaper when I trained them to go outside and they are very good at letting me know when they have to !
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2014, 10:19 AM
    A dog is far less concerned about getting wet than you are.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2014, 05:12 PM
    Training a dog to potty in the house is only opening the door for them to go potty anywhere in the house. I for one, wouldn't like it if my adult dogs peed and poo'd in the house every time it rained. It would stink!

Your dogs will not melt if they get rained on. Just dry them off when they come in.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2014, 05:55 PM
    Going out in the rain is part of owning a dog! My mothers 3lb Chihuahua would go out in the winter! Paper training a dog just leads to confusion and most likely, accidents around the house (going on a magazine, etc)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 4, 2014, 07:36 PM
    My poodle, had him from the age of 11 until 27 years of age, was paper trained. He rarely went outside. It was the breeder that recommended paper training him. It was fairly easy to do, but we had a huge unused basement, and every square inch of it was covered in newspaper for him. You see, he didn't always hit the paper, so you can't just put down one sheet and hope he'll go there. You'll have to dedicate at least an entire room as his potty room, have nothing else in it, and have paper over every part of the floor.

After that, you'll have to expect, and accept, when he pees on your clothes, or your bed, or the carpet, or anywhere in the house. You see, one surface looks like the other. If a dog is allowed to potty inside, it will potty inside, and not always where you want it to potty. Silver, my poodle, peed and pooed everywhere, not just the newspaper.

In other words. It's a horrible idea.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 5, 2014, 05:05 AM
    One more word...

Unsanitary.
    Inaru Posts: 76, Reputation: 4

Sep 13, 2014, 11:37 PM
    Okay. Never mind then. It was just a thought.
    I'll just keep taking them outside. Lol

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Potty training a dog when you're the only consistent trainer. [ 9 Answers ]

As you all know we have a puppy. He's now around 5 months old, he's a border collie crossed with a stubborn little... he's adorable. :) I've had border collie mixes for a long time. I've never had an issue with potty training. The thing is, my first border collie mix lived with my parents...

I need help potty training my dog. [ 0 Answers ]

I need help potty-training my shih tzu he is 3 years old almost turning 4. I really need help he keeps pooping in my living room and he has done it 4 times. Can anyone please help me and answer this question?.

1 year old dog potty training [ 2 Answers ]

I Have A 1 Year Old Collie X Rottie and she has never pooped or peeed outsyde since we got her at 15 weeks PLEASE HELP!

Dog potty training issues [ 2 Answers ]

I've posted on here with very similar issues and they continue. Our 7 month old las shepherd mix will not go potty out side we can walk around for over an hour and she refuses to go then as soon as we are back inside she goes pee and poop on the carpet. We used to have a doggy door that she used...

View more questions Search