Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    orth120 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2014, 07:29 PM
    I split one room into 2 I didn't think about the lighting
    I made one room into 2 rooms and didn't think about the lighting. It was one room with 2 lights connected to 2 light switches. Now its 2 rooms with a light in each room still connected to the same light switches. One switch is outside of the room and the other switch is at the top of the stairs. Can I split the light for the new room to its own switch or even just remove it from the switch and install a ceiling fan with a chain?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2014, 07:56 PM
    You have 3 way switches. Not easy to split unless you know where the power source originates. If it is hot from a ceiling box, you would convert to 2 switch loops. If it is through the switches, you would need to convert to single pole switches keeping the 3 conductor wire and make 2 hots. Then, convert the second light to a switch loop. There would be no connecting wires between the lights. I am not good at graphics but did draw it out and it could be done. Hopefully our good graphics poster will come along.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 2, 2014, 05:13 AM
    Turn power off. Remove switches and describe the wires in each switch
    Remove light fixtures and describe wiring in the ceiling. Do not disconnect any wires just look and describe wiring. Call light you want to keep on the switches Light #1. Call the light in the new room Light #2.

Describe like this.

"Switch at top of stairs, one cable with black, red and white wires. Red and white are connected to the brass screws and black is connected to black screw.
    Switch at bottom of stairs has one 2-wire cables, black and white and one 3-wire cable with black red and white wires. The white wire of the 2-wire cable is connected to the black screw of the switch. The black wire of the 2-wire cable is connected to the black wire of the three wire cable. The red and white of the 3-wire cable are connected to the brass screws of the switch.
    At light #1 there are three 2-wire cables. The white of one 2-wire cable is connected to the white of another 2-wire cable and to the white of the light fixture. The black of one 2-wire cable is connected the white of another 2-wire cable. The black of one 2-wire cable is connected to the black of another 2-wire cable and to the black of the light fixture."

There are a number of ways the lights and switches could be wired. What I have just described is quite likely the way yours is wired.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My split air conditioner is not cooling my room [ 1 Answers ]

My split system is not cooling my room. I don't know much about this. I fan outside is running and I have checked the cooper wires, they are both same temp. The fan air is cold not hot. Any help? Tnx

Can I put each room on its own 15 amp breaker or should I split it? [ 6 Answers ]

For each room in my house I was thinking of each room having their own circuit. However currently one circuit may feed multiple rooms or just a partial room. The bedrooms will have flat panel tv's and computers in each one along with standard ceiling fans and alarms, etc... Kitchen will...

Lighting utility room [ 0 Answers ]

I found a white light fixture with 3 lights and a glass cover not clear but smoked or off white. I seem to think fluorescent lighting when I think utility room. I thought if I put in those new fluorescent 60's that use just 13 watts it would work fine and if that is too much light as the area is...

Room split between 2 Zones [ 4 Answers ]

In a ZONED SYSTEM should you split a large room between 2 ZONES to equal the number of vents between zones or should you always have the boundary run along a wall?

We split up. I still have her dogs. I have room for them, she doesn't [ 6 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I recently split up. She left her two dog's with me. I have room for them (a Bull Mastiff and an Akita), she doesn't. The dogs are the only tie that binds us right now. I know have to give her time and space, but the canines are an issue. They are the tie that still binds. I love...

View more questions Search