Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jer9292 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2014, 03:46 PM
    Gfci receptacle
    Hi my name is jerry I am replacing an receptacel there are 3 black wires and 3 white 1 grown I did what it show in the paper it came with black to hot white to white and grown wire puy it all together and it won't work what did I do wrong help
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Sep 1, 2014, 04:08 PM
    How was the old receptacle wired? How did you connect to the GFI? Saying you did what's shown in the paper does not tell us much.

If you are not looking to protect any downstream receptacles then you are going to need to pigtail the hot and the whites to connect them to the GFI. There are not enough holes to put 3 wires under the line side.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2014, 05:32 PM
    Did you follow Line and Load configuration if powering other outlets? If not, it won't work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

12-3 wiring for GFCI receptacle [ 13 Answers ]

Hi my name is satoecho and I am trying to upgrade my kitchen counter plugin to GFCI outlet. Here is the problem. I saw the wire was 12-3 so that 3 hot wire such as black, white and red and ground. How do I wire red wire? I put black and white to LINE and also put ground to proper spot. But now...

Receptacle GFCI [ 3 Answers ]

I have a GFCI Receptacle is my main bathroom that is not working at all it has 1 black wire 1 white wire and a ground, I have the same outlet in my other bathroom and it works fine it has 2 black wires 1 white wire and a ground, I was wondering if the lack of a black wire is my problem or can it be...

GFCI receptacle installation [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing basement receptacles with GFCI outlets. I have armored cable with only a white and black wire-no ground. Is that a problem? Is it necessary to use the stab in receptacles or does it make a difference just using the screws on the side?

Gfci receptacle [ 3 Answers ]

I Would Like To Know If You Can Install A Gfci Recep. On A Shared Neutral Circuit.

GFCI Receptacle [ 1 Answers ]

Do they make a slimline GFCI Receptacle? I have some very narrow metal eletrical boxes in my kitchen and the regular size GFI will not fit.

View more questions Search