Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ratchet Spanner Posts: 36, Reputation: 4

Aug 31, 2014, 01:18 PM
    Can I plug my generator into the 220 dryer outlet?
    Can I plug my gererator into the 220 dryer outlet and back power my house if I shut off the main breaker at the panel, when the power goes out?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2014, 01:31 PM
    Can you? Yes. Is it legal and safe? NO! Buy a transfer switch and do it properly.

Aug 31, 2014, 01:37 PM
    Where do I get transfer switch and do I need an electrician to wire it into the panel?
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2014, 01:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratchet Spanner View Post
    Where do I get transfer switch and do I need an electrician to wire it into the panel?
    Yes, you should hire a professional and request an electrical permit and inspection by the sub-code official to verify an appropriate installation.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 31, 2014, 02:59 PM
    I will reiterate, extremely dangerous to do this with out transfer switch and proper wiring. You could get some one killed should you fail to disconnect main breakers and cause a fire when power is return from grid. To make such a connection, even if you turn off main breaker, requires using a "suicide" cord, which is a cord with a male plug on each end. That means exposed electrodes on each end, which can kill you.

Edit for emphasis on the danger of doing something like this.
    Think about this. The power coming down the street to the transformer is probably 5000 to 7000 volts, where it is stepped down to 120 volts to your home. Should you "accidentally" send 120 volts back up the line, it will be stepped UP to the 5000 to 7000 volts by the same transformer. Do you want to be a linesman?

Aug 31, 2014, 03:31 PM
    Got it, a guy from work said it would be okay. I had my doubts and you guys have confirmed them. Thanks for the info.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Aug 31, 2014, 05:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratchet Spanner View Post
    Got it, a guy from work said it would be okay. I had my doubts and you guys have confirmed them. Thanks for the info.
    Unfortunately many people (with no clue) will tell you it is OK. It is not!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I plug a 120/220 plug into a 30A-125/250 outlet and how? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello,I have a Mig welder with a 220 plug on it.I have a dryer outlet, it's a Leviton 4 plug/wire 30A-125/250V.The plug on the welder is smaller than the outlet.I can plug welder into my 220 outlet that is used for my air conditioner butthat is located in my living room.The dryer outlet is in the...

I have an electric dryer that uses 220 v but the outlet is not the same config. [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a Whirlpool electric dryer that has a plug that won't fit the 220 receptacle in the wall. I bought a receptacle that fits the plug of the Whirlpool dryer, but want to make sure that I am doing it correctly. Can you advise what to avoid and how to test this circuit?

Need to plug my 220 trailer into a 110 outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a concession trailer that has a 220 plug. However, I have nothing in it that uses 220 right now. When I go to places I need to plug into 110 outlets. I can not find an adapter, and was told I would have to make one myself. Any idea how to do that, or know where I could find a diagram? ...

220 plug for dryer and heater [ 2 Answers ]

Is it possible to split a 220 wire and run it to a baseboard heater and a clothes dryer off a single breaker. They would not be ran at the same time. It is the only way for me to get a 220 wire to the baseboard heater? They are 40 feet from the breaker box.

220 volt dryer outlet [ 7 Answers ]

I need to install a 220 volt dryer oulet in my home, none present now (gas only). Slab foundation / attic accesible / walls must remain intact. I am trying to get a ballpark figure on the cost of installation. Thanks for any help you can give me.

View more questions Search