Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kellybokc Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2014, 09:15 AM
    Electrical question
    I am installing a ceiling fan, but noticed both feeds coming from the ceiling box are hot? Is this normal? Thanks
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 31, 2014, 09:38 AM
    Describe the wires in the ceiling box.

Aug 31, 2014, 01:38 PM
    I had an electrician install a switch for the ceiling fan, they also installed 4can lights in the bedroom. They left 2wires hanging out of the ceiling box, when I check to see if the wires are live they both are live wires. One wire is white and the other is tan. When I flip the fan switch on or off, they both stay live . When I flip the light switch ( right next to the fan switch which they installed) off the 2wires turn off. Which to me means something is not right? The lights would have to be on for the ceiling fan to operate. I also thought that one of the 2wires hanging out of the ceiling box would be hot and one would be neutral? Hope this helps.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 31, 2014, 02:47 PM
    One wire is white and the other is tan.
    Where are you located? That sounds like EU or UK. USA colors would be black and white.
    When you say wires do you mean wires or do you mean cables. A wire is a wire. A cable is two or more wires in an outer covering?

When I flip the fan switch on or off, they both stay live . When I flip the light switch ( right next to the fan switch which they installed) off the 2wires turn off.
    That alone says that something is wrong.

Aug 31, 2014, 03:32 PM
    They are wires, I just don't want to hook it up and short out my ceiling fan.

Thanks for your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical question [ 1 Answers ]

I thought a second light would go off/on being powered from the original motion sensor light in my garage. The original motion sensor light works as usual, the second light is always on. Why? Thanks.

Ask an electrical question [ 1 Answers ]

Can I use LED lamps in a regular security motion detector fixture?

Electrical Question [ 1 Answers ]

Ihave switch that turns on a plug for my TV. I want to run powere and add switch for A ceiling fan in the same room. I thought I would "jump" the black to the new switch and "twist" the white wires together to do that. What am I missing. [email protected]

Ask an electrical question? [ 1 Answers ]

I have just purchased a steam mop from the usa I live in the uk I also got a ac converter but the mop still dosen't work there is a green light on so there is power but it doesn't heat up. Can you tell me why this is

Electrical Question [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone. I have a dedicated 15 amp circuit running to 5 recessed lights in my living room all controlled by a single switch. I've run the switch leg up the wall and to the first light, its 14/2. The power is coming into the first light also 14/2. I was wondering how to do this. Can...

View more questions Search