Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rsamitt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2014, 02:44 PM
    GFI problem
    I have gfi outlets in each of three bathrooms, and they just stopped working yesterday. They are controlled by a GFI circuit breaker in the main circuit breaker panel. The breaker has not tripped. I tripped it, then pushed it to the off position, then reset it. It did not help. I repeated the procedure. It still did not help. I used a test probe, and the probe light went on, but no devices (hair dryer, night light) would work. These devices work fine when plugged into non GFI outlets. I then replaced the GFI circuit breaker in the main panel. The result was the same problems as stated above.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 30, 2014, 05:13 PM
    I have gfi outlets in each of three bathrooms
    What does that mean? Does it mean you have GFI outlets in the bedrooms, they have the Test and Reset buttons on the outlet or does it mean that the outlets are GFI protected by being on the GFCI circuit breaker?

If the outlets have the Test and Reset buttons are you sure they are GFI outlets and not arc fault outlets?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 31, 2014, 08:15 AM
    Just for clarification, if you are using a GFCI breaker then replace the GFCI receptacles.

However, the smarter thing to do is replace the GFCI breaker and just use the GFCI receptacles.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Problem: I have a GFI outlet that when I press & hold the reset button [ 2 Answers ]

A yellow light comes on when I press and HOLD the reset button on my GFI. When I release it, there is no light. I have a voltage tester and I'm not getting any current to the wires. However, I accidentally touched the "white" and grounded myself and got a jolt. Why am I getting shocked and yet...

Can hook up a 110v gfi breaker of one leg ogf a 220v 50 gfi [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 50 amp 220 v gfi hooked up to my hot tub, I ran a 110 v 10 amp gfi off one leg for the underwater light just for extra safety, is this safe to do? I have heard on TV that you can not run 1 gfi off another. Or is this just pertaining ti wall outlets?

Outlets on my GFI don't work but GFI is working [ 7 Answers ]

I have one plug in the garage and one out door plug that are not working. I have reset my GFI plug and the GFI plug is working however the other two plugs are still not working. Should I replace both plugs or is there something else going on? The GFI outlet itself has power. The test and reset...

OK to replace a 20A GFI with a 15A GFI? [ 1 Answers ]

I have two GFI outlets in my kitchen. I am replacing them w/another color. The new color are only available in 15A, while the ones I am replacing are 20A. The only thing I plug into them are toasters, coffee pots, and mixers... not sure if the lower amp has anything to do with the ground fault...

Two Single Pole GFI's = one Double Pole 220v GFI? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello there, Installing a pool motor, 220v hayward northstar two speed. Could not find a double pole 40 amp GFI, electric supply store recommended two single pole 20A GFI's sharing a neutral? Does this make sense. I have a 40amp double pole in the main feeding the sub via the sub panel...

View more questions Search