Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    10FTseas Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2014, 11:03 AM
    Removed a ceiling fan / replaced with a light and will not turn off ?
    Have three black three white and three ground wires in the ceiling box. This also powers another light in the closet. The closet light works fine but I Can not get the bedroom light to turn off at the switch.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Aug 30, 2014, 11:19 AM
    How was the old light connected?

Aug 30, 2014, 11:34 AM
    It was a old ceiling fan with a light we removed. Not sure how it was hooked up but there are 3ea 12/2 wires coming out of the box!

When I turn the breaker off the closet light goes off also so the bedroom light must feed the closet light. The closet light works fine but the bedroom light once will not turn off with the wall switch
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 30, 2014, 11:36 AM
    One of the cables (one black ,one white and one ground) is the power in cable. One of the cables goes to the closet. The third cable goes to the switch.

Your task is to determine which cable goes to the switch.

Turn power off and connect the light to a black and a white wire (same cable). Put wire nuts on all other wires. Turn power on. If light comes on you have connected to the power in cable. If not repeat the procedure until you find the power in cable.

Turn power off. Connect the black and white of the power in cable to the black and white of one of the other cables. Make sure that the switch is in the OFF position. Turn power back on. If the light in the closet works, you have reconnected the power in cable to the closet cable. If not you have connected the power in to the switch cable.

Turn power off. Connect the white of the power in cable to the white of the closet light cable and to white of the light fixture you are installing. Connect the black of the power in cable to the black of the closet cable and to the WHITE of the switch cable. Connect the black of the light fixture to the black of the switch cable. Turn power on.

Aug 30, 2014, 11:50 AM
    Thank you HK that is what I was looking for !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replaced ceiling fan with regular light fixture [ 3 Answers ]

I have replaced my ceiling fan in my downstairs bedroom with a regular light fixture. Connected the black with black the white with white. Have another white wire that I capped. The light works fine but my outside and upstairs light won't turn on now and two outlets don't work in my living room....

Took ceiling fan down, replaced with light and the light won't shut off [ 1 Answers ]

We took a ceiling fan (that had a light kit on it) down and replace it with a simple light fixture. The light itself has white and black wires and a ground. We figured that we needed to wire the white to white, ground to ground and black to black with red. The light is on we switch the power...

I replaced the 3 speed pull switch on my ceiling fan. But now it doesn't turn off. [ 1 Answers ]

I had to replace the pull switch on my ceiling fan due to the chain being pulled out.. the original switch has this order.. L-BLACK 1-GRAY 2-BROWN 3-GREEN I've tried 2 different 3 speed switches and have hooked it up the same way as the original,but now I get a HIGH-HIGH-LOW speed no off... anyone...

Replaced ceiling fan light fixture, now fan won't work [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old ceiling fan. It was in the house when I bought it so I have no info on it. There are no tags or model #s on it. It is controlled by 2 separate wall mounted switches. One light dimmer and one fan speed controller. I wanted to update the light fixture on it so I removed it. Wiring...

Replaced ceiling fan switch will not turn off [ 1 Answers ]

A replacement ceiling fan switch was purchased from Home Depot for a three speed Hampton Bay (Marco Polo) ceiling fan. Both the old and new switch had the same wire colors (L-black 1-grey 2-brown 3-purple) and the new switch was inserted according to the colors. The fan will not turn off now. Is...

View more questions Search