Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimbob 1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2014, 06:12 AM
    Why do my lights lights short out when I switch them off
    I swapped a light fixture in the kitchen and wired it like for like and when I switch the light off it trips the fuse what is the problem
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 30, 2014, 08:16 AM
    wired it like for like
    I assume that means you connected all the white wires together and all the black wires together.

Sounds like you probably have a switch loop. When you have a switch loop the white wire to the switch is used to take the power to the switch. The black wire is use to return power from the switch to the fixture. When you do this you are suppose to mark the white wire to the switch with a piece of black tape to designate it as a hot conductor rather than a neutral. However this is often not done.

If you have a switch loop and you connected all the whites together and all the blacks together, the light will burn all the time.The breaker is tripping when you turn the switch on and creating a short circuit, not off.

Describe the wiring in the ceiling box.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 lights by 1 switch with power to the lights first [ 3 Answers ]

I have power coming from the panel, running up to the front of my garage to the first light, from there to the second light and from there to the switch. My first light stays on all the time, but the second light will turn off and on by the switch. I am using 12-2 with a 20 amp breaker How do I...

1993 honda accord ex no tail lights, no cluster lights, no radio lights [ 1 Answers ]

Yet radio works. I have checked all the fuses with voltmeter all good. Is this a dimmer relay issue and if not what could it be. Need answer immediately please. I transport my small daughter and am unemplyed at this time. I appreciate all the help. Thank you.

No tail lights no brake lights or dash lights on a 1994 mazda b3000 [ 6 Answers ]

I own a 1994 mazda b3000 and was driving along when the dash lights went out then when I got pulled over come to find out the tail lights and brake lights don't work as well I noticed thogh the abs light flash's 12 times then pauses for a second then flash's again 12 times and so on all the fuses...

How do I wire 6 recessed lights to 1 dimmer switch with 12-3 power and 12-2 to lights [ 1 Answers ]

How do I wire 6 recessed lights to 1 dimmer switch with 12-3 power wire source and 12-2 to between the 6 lights and then using 12-2 witing to the single pole switch?--need your help please

3 lights ran between 2 3-ways, can one of these lights be controlled by a 3rd switch? [ 2 Answers ]

There are 3 lights connected, 2 in one room and the third at the bottom of the stairs. There is a 3-way at the top of the stairs and another in the room with the 2 lights. This guy would like to also be able to switch off just the 3rd light at the bottom of the stairs. I did not dig into this too...

View more questions Search