Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marydang Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2014, 06:54 PM
    3 way switch can't turn off dimmed like
    I have 3 way switch controlling my chandelier(Can turn on and off from 2 different locations). A dimmer was added to one of the switches.-this switch feels hot to the touch.It cannot turn off the chandelier. I need to run up the stairs to turn the chandelier lights off. Why is this? Do you think that this chandelier cannot be dimmed? Should I remove dimmer then?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 28, 2014, 07:11 PM
    A dimmer was added to one of the switches.
    What does that mean? Does it mean that one 3-way switch was replaced with a 3-way dimmer switch?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Aug 28, 2014, 07:22 PM
    It means the 3-way arrangement is wired wrong. It is something simple. Take them both apart and check that the two travelers (two wires coming from the same cable) are on the gold colored screws on the switch, and the two like colored wires on the dimmer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When I turn off the gas switch blow comes on then turn switch back on furnace works. [ 1 Answers ]

When I turn off the Honeywell gas switch comes on then pilot lites one time furnace runs for 3 min shuts off an sits, until I do it again.

Why is my breaker switch turning off when I turn light switch to off posiion [ 1 Answers ]

The box where my kitchen light fixture is located has 4 wires (each with a black and white wire inside for a total of 6 wires). I have determined one wire (wire#1) is providing power, (wire#2) is the power to an outlet in the bathroom, (wire#3) is power to outlet in dinning room, and (wire#4) is...

I replaced pull switch lights with recess but the wall switch won't turn off the light [ 2 Answers ]

I added lights and outlets to my basement and all of the outlets work fine. Before I started the switch on the wall controlled one light and all of the others had pull strings. I've tried everything but the switch will not turn off the remaining three lights. What did I do wrong... how do I fix it?...

I turn my start switch and my dryer will not stay on unless I tape my switch! [ 0 Answers ]

I have a GE electric dryer. When I turn my rotary start switch my dryer starts up then once I release the switch my turns turns off. The heat works if I hold the switch. Which parts should I replace?

2 Ceiling fans on one switch - switch won't turn on or off [ 5 Answers ]

I am more than boggled regarding our ceiling fan issues. We had an existing ceiling fan with light over our dining room table and have just installed another ceiling fan with light in our accompanying living room. There was never any lighting in our living room before now. We drilled a hole and...

View more questions Search