Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kingflash Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2014, 01:17 PM
    Converting 2 prong outlets to 3 prong.
    I am needing help.

I have 3 black and 3 white wires in the my house that were all connected together into a 2 prong outlet. I am trying to convert them to 3 prong outlets. The 3 prong outlets have the slots in which I can insert the black to black and white to white and I did as such with the 2 set of wires for the top and bottom of the 3 prong outlet. Now when I use that outlet, the lights in my kitchen go off along with anything that is over in that area. Please advise.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2014, 02:01 PM
    Does it trip the breaker? If so, you have wires touching. If not, you most likely have a loose wire connection. Why not pigtail a lead from the black and white and then you only need to run a single wire to the outlet. All those other wires are running to the other outlets and lights.

Aug 27, 2014, 02:13 PM
    Thank you so much ma0641! I will try that. Can you also looking my other questions in my profile concerning plumbing? Your assistance is much appreciated!
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Aug 27, 2014, 02:27 PM
    What about the ground? Was there a valid ground present in the box? Or did you just swap two prong for three not caring about the ground?

Aug 27, 2014, 02:30 PM
    Hi Stan, I did not see a valid ground present in the box. I followed the instructions off a YouTube video and saw that the feedback was pretty valid. Please advise if this is incorrect.

Aug 27, 2014, 02:39 PM
    No, it is certainly not correct. YouTube videos are notoriously incorrect in many instances.
    What type of cable was run in the house?

Quote Originally Posted by kingflash View Post
    Hi Stan, I did not see a valid ground present in the box. I followed the instructions off a YouTube video and saw that the feedback was pretty valid. Please advise if this is incorrect.
    And not to sound like a jerk, but wow is this scary!

Aug 27, 2014, 02:43 PM
    I am not quite sure what cable was ran in the house. The is an older house so there were a lot of 2 prongs. This was first outlet that I ran to that had the 3 sets of wires. The others are the normal 2 sets that I just connected to the 3 prong accordingly.

Aug 27, 2014, 03:07 PM
    Yeah, so by replacing the two prong with three prong, without verifying if there is even a ground present in the box you are creating a potential safety and fire hazard. Were you aware of that? Did your YourTube tutorial touch on that subject?
    What did you think the extra hole was for?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing 2 prong outlets to 3 prong [ 1 Answers ]

I have a old house All the electrical outlets are two prong. Is it dangerous to replace electrical outlets with 3 prong covers and not change the electrical system?

What do I do with the white wire when converting a 4-prong dryer cord to a 3-prong? [ 2 Answers ]

I moved into an older house and have a brand new Maytag Bravos dryer. I took the 4 prong cord off and there is a white wire that was installed under the middle prong of the 4 prong cord. The white wire is part of the dryer... it comes from a bunch of wires inside the dryer. I am now putting a 3...

Converting a 3 prong to a 4 prong plug [ 5 Answers ]

Hello All. I'm stuck so I thought I'd come to the experts with this. I have a welder that has a 3 prong plug but I have to plug it into a 4 prong outlet. I purchased the 4 prong plug to replace the original one but I'm not sure what wires go where. Currently the 3 prong has a Green (Top) and...

Converting a 3 prong to a 4 prong outlet [ 4 Answers ]

My dryer is a 3 prong outlet and I moved to where there are 4 prong outlets, how can I hook it up?

Converting 2-prong outlets to 3-prong [ 1 Answers ]

I live in an old house were only a few of the outlets are 3-prongs. I want to change all the existing 2-prong outlets (as buying cheaters is annoying) to some GFCI outlets, but I have a problem. There are no light fixtures in the house, and all the light switches run the top slot on the outlets,...

View more questions Search