Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dannac Posts: 267, Reputation: 9

Aug 27, 2014, 12:16 PM
    Metal over shingles
    I'm putting a metal roof over a shingled roof.

I will run 1 x 4 pine screwed to rafters... then the metal will screw to 1 x 4.

My question :
    Should I put a vapor barrier between the 1 x 4 pine and the metal ?
    (visqueen or tar paper)
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 27, 2014, 01:22 PM
    Vapor barriers are to be at the point where moisture condenses (due to cold), so that means on the inside of the attic rafters.
    dannac Posts: 267, Reputation: 9

Aug 27, 2014, 05:21 PM
    Thanks for the reply joypuly... but do not understand,

Or does that mean the answer is "no" no need for vapor barrier between metal and wood ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am replacing metal roofing on bay windows Can shingles be placed over metal roof? [ 3 Answers ]

Metal is not copper. Also, does anyone know what the overhang should be (for shingles on bay window roof). Thanks

How to install metal roof over shingles [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know of any online video that would help or have any pointers Thanks cgreer8

Roof/shingles or metal [ 1 Answers ]

I have a roof that drops 9 inches in 13 feet. Can I use regular shingles instead of rolled roofing? If I go with metal panels,can I fasten them right to the new felt or do I need the 3/4 inch strips. ...

Metal flashing under shingles? [ 3 Answers ]

We are about to roof a newly constructed barn. I have noticed on an older building we have that no moss grows below skylights that have metal flashing but grows heavily elsewhere. I was wondering if anyone inserts a row of metal under the top row of shingles the whole length of the roof to prevent...

View more questions Search