Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0

Aug 27, 2014, 07:11 AM
    Computer Windows 7
    I am so senior that learning new tricks (new computer programs) are getting out of reach for me. I love my computer, a PC I've had for years... AOL is
    Giving me problems... so I emptied almost all my mail from the last five years.
    I want a laptop. I have Windows 7. I want one with Windows 7 not 8. I
    Read 8 is very different so I really don't it.

By the way, emptying all my sent mail, read mail, old mail didn't work
    so I bought AOL program to clean it up and had someone go through the steps.
    That didn't work either. I already shut down this computer twice and started
    over..
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 27, 2014, 07:48 AM
    You can still get PCs with Windows 7 on it. But generally you have to buy direct from the manufacturer. Most retail stores will only stock Win 8 computers.

However, Win 8.1 is not that different if you boot to the desktop.
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Aug 29, 2014, 04:08 AM
    It's unlikely that the amount of email stuff in your account has anything to do with the PC getting slow. That stuff is stored at AOL not on your PC so you should look for your issue at home. You could have browser issues with tool bars or addons in your browser. One way to test that would be to use a different browser (install one if you have just one) and try that. Other reasons for slow downs are too many programs installed, highly fragmented drive, your internet cache is full, etc.. Also there is a small possibility your drive is failing, that can cause slow down issues too. Try doing a basic cleanup. Uninstall programs and tool bars you don't need, defrag the drive and use a cleaning program like Ccleaner to cleanup the trash.
    jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0

Aug 29, 2014, 04:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Appzalien View Post
    It's unlikely that the amount of email stuff in your account has anything to do with the PC getting slow. That stuff is stored at AOL not on your PC so you should look for your issue at home. You could have browser issues with tool bars or addons in your browser. One way to test that would be to use a different browser (install one if you have just one) and try that. Other reasons for slow downs are too many programs installed, highly fragmented drive, your internet cache is full, etc.. Also there is a small possibility your drive is failing, that can cause slow down issues too. Try doing a basic cleanup. Uninstall programs and tool bars you don't need, defrag the drive and use a cleaning program like Ccleaner to cleanup the trash.
    I just want to thank you so much for your suggestions. A friend told me also to
    Do a clean up so I'm paying for the AOL cleanup... and I do have a lot on toolbar and so I will get rid of most of those... I have the option of two other browsers.
    We're (she actually) will go over your response and help me further because I am so backward I don't even know what defrag is, but she does. Again, thank you for taking the time to not only give a reply, but a thoughtful, detailed one as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Computer problem with windows 7 [ 7 Answers ]

I have an hp laptop pavilion dv6 and its completely new. The other day I noticed on the right bottom hand corner it said "windows 7 build 7601 this copy of windows is not genuine" Now I don't really know what it means and I did research on it a couple days ago and people said something about...

Windows keeps shutting down on my new computer? [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased this Acer laptop last night, already it has shut down 4 times with arror message : C:Windows\Minidump\101711-16302-01,dmp Also : BCCODE;3b I think this is a bad sign that I have a defective computer and feel I should bring it back to the store..

Computer questions about windows 7 [ 8 Answers ]

Ok I need to ask a few questions or more about computers, can someone help me please 1. List 5 window views in windows explorer 2. List steps for extensions in windows explorer Describe how to activate a screensaver 3. What is ellipses, it has to deal with windows 7 4. How do you change...

Viruses in my computer using windows xp [ 4 Answers ]

this is my hjt log. My computer is running really slow and some times won't load pages at all. Can someone look at my log and give me advice on on how to fix it. Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2 Scan saved at 5:53:45 PM, on 27/02/2008 Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE:...

View more questions Search