Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fbcpalto Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2014, 08:43 PM
    Can the chief officers be considered independent contractors of the company?
    Two music instructors start working as independent contractors together for a third party. They are encouraged by that third party to expand what they started into a nonprofit company and begin to operate on the same campus, but as an independent company separate from the initial third party.

Both are now the top officers of the new company.

The company that these two are founders of offers the same services to the same students as it did when it operated as an extension of the initial third party.

The two instructors are the only labor force of the new company in regard to its students, but each instructor also teaches as an independent contractor for other schools elsewhere.

Can these two people be considered as independent contractors of their new company, or are they, as both officers and the labor force of the company, employees of said company?
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2014, 09:51 PM
    As owners of the company they are not employees unless they have a contract of employment with the company. They have a liability for certain actions as owners and officers of the company. Being members of the company does not limit their ability to privately contract their services to others unless they have an exclusivity agreement with the company, however they should not be competing with the company as it creates a conflict of interest

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Transitioning Independent Contractors to Employees? [ 1 Answers ]

We are a small company that is considering creating employee positions for the work our independent contractors now do. This question is not so much about the nature of the work - as we already have outlined the changes needing to be made in the actual job to categorize them into employees. The...

Independent contractors - Puerto Rico [ 7 Answers ]

We have recently contracted several Sole Proprietors(US Citizens residing in Puerto Rico) to clean our facility in San Juan, Puerto Rico. While we are familiar with the standard 1099Misc reporting required for IRS reporting, we have heard that we may be required to deduct a percentage for local PR...

Taxes for independent contractors on OPT [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Before I proceeed to my questions, here is a brief description of my situation: I came to the US to do an MBA on July 26, 2007. I graduated from my MBA program on May 10th, 2009 and began my OPT on July 10th, 2009. From July 10th, 2009 to November, 30th 2009, I worked as an independent...

Bonding independent contractors [ 1 Answers ]

I am a business owner of a telemarketing company that sells subscriptions to magazines. My question is, if I were to hire independent contractors to work for me from their home, and they get such information such as a customers credit card numbers to pay for the order should I protect my company by...

Determining Taxes for Independent Contractors [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new contractor and need to know how I go about determining the amount of taxes I will be paying.

View more questions Search