Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cgfrank Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2014, 07:46 PM
    Partial Outage, Breakers OK, Lights Dimmed, Not quite sure what to do
    So, funky problem.

My son goes to turn on the TV downstairs this morning. For 5 years it has been plugged into a surge protector, along with his xbox, a surround sound unit, receiver, dvd player, and a powered subwoof. None of the surround sound components have been turned on in ages, as our upstairs TV has become our main movie center. He occasionally unplugs the xbox to take it to moms, but otherwise nothing has changed.

He said that as soon as he turned the TV on (its an older 32" tube style tv) the lights dimmed slightly, then resumed power, then everything went out. The entire downstairs living room has no power (plugs or light fixtures), the light fixture in an adjacent bedroom doesn't work but the plugs DO, and the lights AND plugs in the other adjacent room work. Also, the bathroom off the living has full power. Everything upstairs is normal.

Naturally I assumed it was a breaker. Not so much. I even reset ALL of them including the master. I tested and reset all the GFI plugs (even though these rooms still had power). I went as far as to turn open up the breaker panel, turn off the main power and all breakers, remove the one suspected bad breaker, pull a matching breaker from the opposite side (my understanding is with 220, 110 is split down each side?) and tested it. No luck. But even if one of the 110 circuits was toast, why would all other breakers on that side work. I subbed in a good breaker of the same amperage from a known working circuit into the couple that I thought it could be (two are labelled "downstairs lites and plugs", which is helpful... ) and still had no power on that circuit. Just for kicks, I took the wire from the bad circuit and plugged it into a known good breaker on the other side and flipped the power on - no luck. So I reconnected everything as it was originally and in my head I can rule out bad breakers.

Next I went with a popped off backstabber on one of the switches or light fixtures. I pulled a few random ones in that room (two switches, one plug, one fixture) and they're all screw type - not spring type backstabbers. All the wires appeared secure, intact, unburned, and the grounds were all secure. For kicks I gave each one a little wiggle and made sure they were tight with the screwdriver. I did NOT do this with all of the plugs/switches/wires. My assumption is that if SOME are screw style and not backstabber style, I probably don't have a popped off backstabber.

Which leads to me this: Now what?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2014, 07:55 PM
    Depends on how the basement is wired. Could be pulled to a junction box and then out with separate hots. I think you have a burned or disconnected wire, my guess in a junction box. Trace the wire from the box and see where it goes.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2014, 04:00 AM
    You didn't mention whether you were using a voltage tester...
    Without one you may never find the problem...
    With one you would be done by now.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 27, 2014, 06:32 AM
    My assumption is that if SOME are screw style and not backstabber style, I probably don't have a popped off backstabber.
    That is probably not a good assumption. Check them all. Also check the neutral connection in the panel.

A meter and a no contact voltage sensor would be helpful. In locating problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Power outage - partial [ 4 Answers ]

I plug a lamp up in one of my wall outlet last night and then we lost power in that room and the one that is connected to it but there is still power upstairs and on the opposite side of the house. What could have cause this? This wall socket has not been use since we moved in the house in October.

Partial electrical outage [ 8 Answers ]

I live in Southern New Jersey. We are currently in the midst of a huge Noreaster snow storm. At 5 am this morning, the power went out in my bedroom. I got up and saw that power was out in most of the house, however about 20 percent of the outlets were still working. Also, my natural gas powered...

Partial power outage [ 1 Answers ]

Last night before bed I thought I was turning off the surge protector to my TV/DVD/HD Cable Box (which was humming and running warm since I got it 2 weeks ago). When I hit the button - the displays went off and I thought all was well and went to bed. This morning when I got up and went to turn on...

Partial electrical outage [ 4 Answers ]

I have a partial electrical outage in my home -- mainly my master bedroom. A few days before the electricity went out (overhead and plugs) there was a strong order like stagnet water or a fish pond. After the lights went out, the smell disappeared.

Partial power outage [ 3 Answers ]

At Any Given Time The Power Will Go Out Only In The Living Room (outlets, Fans, Lights Etc.) And Also A Couple Of The Outlets In The Kitchen That Include The Refrigerator, Stove And 2 Add'l Outlets, All Others Work. Also The Ac Goes Out. The Rest Of The House Works. We Have A Devise That...

View more questions Search