Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Btacit Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2014, 07:45 PM
    Suspened for lack of dr note
    I was suspended for three days and had vacation time taken as a result of refusing to supply a dr note for personal reasons I don't want the company to know what dr I saw or be able to figure out my medical condition do I have any recourse is this a clear violation of personal policy which my group does have in reference to notes etc.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 26, 2014, 07:50 PM
    Couldn't the doctor have given you a generic note without revealing any whys or diagnoses?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2014, 08:00 PM
    What is your company policy?
    Most doctors are part of a medical group. I have seen letters addressed through their letterheads and signed by office admin---Mr. ____ was seen in our office -----, signed
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 26, 2014, 08:03 PM
    If your company policy requires you to produce a doctor's note, you provide one. If you don't follow procedure you suffer the consequences. Rules are rules. They are made to be followed not broken.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 26, 2014, 08:49 PM
    This is no violation of any privacy. If you took off work for medical reasons they may require a doctors note to allow you to return.

So they may even suspend you, without pay, until you bring one in or even fire you for failure to do so. Without proof, they may just believe you were not sick and took off work.

This is standard practice, most work places require it.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2014, 05:38 AM
    Any company CAN require that... in fact many do. You made it appear you were misusing your sick days for personal time off by refusing to give them a doctors excuse (which implies you couldn't because you didn't go to one). I've never in my 53 years been to a doctor that would not write an excuse... and the receipt for your co-pay would be ample proof you was at the doctors office.
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Aug 27, 2014, 06:10 AM
    Actually in AB not sure if it is all of Canada they are not allowed to insist on a doctors note UNLESS you work in an industry such as food service. Then you will need one just to say you are allowed back to work. Most work places insist on doctors notes but when you state the law they will change what they ask you to provide. Check out your labor laws to see if that is included.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long will my DL be suspened [ 4 Answers ]

I got into a fender bender on a hill coming up to the red light I was destracted by a question I was asked by a client and next thing I know I slammed on my breaks hitting the car in front of the cops was called and I had insurance card that did exp. Until 12/22/12 and the cops asked if I had...

Suspened jail sentence [ 1 Answers ]

My dad just got his jail sentencing and Im not understanding it to clearly. He got 5 years of jail with 2 years suspended and 3 years of probabtion. Does this mean he has to serve 2 years in jail then gets the other 3 years on probabtion??

Recessed Lighting in a Suspened Ceiling [ 3 Answers ]

I am going to be putting a suspended ceiling in a basement rec room. I am going to hang the minimum 3" clearance to maximize head room. I want to put recessed lighting in the ceiling since I can not use florescent lighting with 3" hanging. The question is two fold: first, what is the distance...

Lack of money, lack of job, banging my head against a brick wall it seems. [ 8 Answers ]

OK, this has been going on for over 6 months now and I need for it to end... ive not done anything and neither has he, but I am finding it very hard to get a job, the last job I had six months ago was temp,they let me go after a month being there. I have been trying hard to get work, as of yet its...

View more questions Search