Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bryce Roberts Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2014, 06:29 PM
    No Ground bus?
    I am wiring up a small office building on side of my house. I am running 240v to a sub panel in the office. The office will have 4 outlets with computers, printers, and the like plugged in; an outlet with a 5000btu Window unit ac; and a light, ceiling fan, and outdoor fluorescent light. The breaker box I have for this only has the "hot" bus and a neutral bus bars. I have read conflicting instructions as to if I can have the ground and neutral terminate on the same bus bar.
    1. Can I have both neutral and ground wires on the same bus?
    2. Is it dangerous to have them on the same bus or only ugly work and not neat?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 26, 2014, 06:54 PM
    Is the office a remote structure or part of the original structure?

If the office will be in a remote structure, you must us a 4 wire feed to the structure.

Also, the building must have its own grounding system.

At the downstream panelboard, Neutral and Ground must be isolated. Basically that means you cannot connect neutral conductors to the ground bus or ground conductors.

If you do not know how to do this to code, please consider contacting a licensed electrician. If not done properly, you risk fire and or serious injury.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2014, 07:51 PM
    According to current code, a subpanel must be set up with a ground and neutral bar. You would need to use a 3 conductor wire with ground and install ground rods at the office, if it is detached.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 26, 2014, 07:51 PM
    You can purchase a grounding buss and install in your sub-panel.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 27, 2014, 04:35 AM
    According to code - you must use a 4 wire conductor from the main service panel to a secondary panelboard.

If the downstream panelboard is in the same building it can be tied to the existing grounding system. However, if the downstream panelboard is in a remote structure, you must set up a separate grounding system in the remote structure.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2014, 05:21 AM
    homeowners should be aware that the law allows us to do electrical work on our own
    personal dwellings but it also requires building permits which include electrical. A small office may not be considered part of the dwelling so professionals may be required.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ground vs neutral bus bars [ 4 Answers ]

I have a breaker panel (not a main panel with disconnect) which has two bus bars on each side, mounted on plastic insulating brackets, and which are connected together via a metal strap. The original electrician had connected the ground wires to one, the neutral wires to the other withouth...

Can I splice tap a new ground bus bar to an existing ground wire? [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a new ground bus bar for telecom equipment grounding in an existing building. There is an existing ground cable coming from and existing transformer and down into the slab. The grounding point is nowhere to be found. Hence, the question whether it is acceptable to splice tap the...

No ground bus... Do I hook ground to neutral? [ 2 Answers ]

If my older home does not have a ground bus, should I connect the ground of a new run to the neutral bus? If I connect the ground to the neutral bus, should I add a grounding rod and connect it to the neutral bus? There is no room in the panel to add a neutral bus, and no room to replace the whole...

NO Ground bus bar [ 2 Answers ]

I have A Square D Main panel. It has NO ground bus bar but 3 neutral bars. The neutral and ground wires are both in these bars. Is that O.K.

Neutral/Ground bus bar? [ 6 Answers ]

I am installing a sub panel in my basement to run some extra circuits for a bathroom, spare room etc. I am putting a 60 amp fuse in the main service panel, running a 6-3 wire with ground and back feeding the new sub panel. The new panel does not come with a ground bus bar, and suggests using...

View more questions Search