Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Randy24 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2005, 03:45 PM
    120v/208v single phase appliance wiring
    Recently purchased a coffee machine that has the above reqts. I understand that it has 220 and 110v circuits that need power. I also purchased a generator to power this brewer outside. If I use a NEMA L14-30P plug, to connect into the generator, What is the sequence of wiring for the plug three curved pins and one locking pin. Which wire goes to which prong.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2005, 05:42 PM
    If nobody here can give you the convention, check the generator. You should be able to identify the neutral and ground. Wire the white and green or bare to them. I am not sure if the black and red make any difference. If it does, it may be marked on the plug.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2005, 03:09 PM
    This is a simple fix. Look at the terminals on your twist lock plug. You will find 4 terminals, two brass colored, one silver/nickel colored, and one green.

The green wire of your cord goes to green terminal, the white wire goes to the "white" terminal, and the black and red each go to any one of the brass.

However, you mention the appliance is 208 volt, and the generator is "220" volt. I quote the 220 because standard voltage in USA is 240 volt. Check the genset to be sure of the voltage output. Then if it really is 240 volt, check your appliance to be sure it can handle 240 volt. You may need to call the manufacturer to be sure. Heating appliances are usually tolerant of higher voltage, but I always check to be sure there will not be any operational or safety problems.

Remember,you are dealing with a lethal energy source, better to be safe than sorry.

Kevin

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2-phase vs 3-phase degrees of separation [ 5 Answers ]

At work we have 3-phase power. I understand the oscillations are 120 degrees apart. At home I have 2-phase power. Are the oscillations 180 degrees apart? I understand the neutral on a 240v circuit should carry 0 as the phases cancel each other out. My real question is that if we have a...

Kitchen appliance circuits [ 1 Answers ]

I know that 2 appliance circuits are required for the kitchen. Can these circuits also connect to other receptacles such as dining rooms and pantries? Thank you in advance

Kitchen Appliance Wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I currently have two 10-3 leads running from two double pole 35 amp breakers in a Wadsworth 200 amp panel. One supplies the cooktop the other supplies the oven. I am going to replace the two units with a new single unit. The new unit requires a 40 amp breaker which I plan to install in place of...

Kitchen Appliance Wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I currently have two 10-3 leads running from two double pole 35 amp breakers in a Wadsworth 200 amp panel. One supplies the cooktop the other supplies the oven. I am going to replace the two units with a new single unit. The new unit requires a 40 amp breaker which I plan to install in place of one...

How to view single record of ALL people at single address? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a table with addresses and names. I can easily sort it by address to see all the people living at the same address grouped together. However, this is problematic with mail-merges, since I wind up generating a new letter for each person, sending multiple mailings to the same residence. ...

View more questions Search