Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DonCutolo Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Aug 25, 2014, 10:12 AM
    I need help with how to wire a walk in freezer.
    I am putting a Kolpak 8x8 1phase 220v walk in freezer in my garage, and mounting the condenser unit on the outside of my house. I live in Platte City, Missouri. I am trying to find out what type of wire I should use, and how to hook the defroster, timer, evaporator and defroster together. I have some diagrams I am adding the link here from the Kolpak site:
    http://www.kolpak.com/asset/?id=tuqvr

\Also, what size double pole breaker to use for the 220v.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 25, 2014, 11:40 AM
    Okay, according to the instructions you have 3 connections possibility.

120v 60 amp single phase.
    208/230 volt 60 amp single phase (this would equate to the 240v system in the U.S.A.
    208.230 volt 60 amp three phase - not worth changing your electrical system or getting an 3 phase transformer.

Use the 240 Volt design.

A several words to the wise, if you are unsure of the ability of your electrical to handle an additional 60 amp load, contact a licensed electrician to do a load calculation. If your existing service is not strong enough it may necessitate an upgrade to your electrical system.

Also, 60 amp can be fatal if you do not know exactly what you are doing. Again I suggest you contact a licensed electrician to perform the needed wiring.

Better to be safe rather than dead because of a novice mistake.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2014, 01:58 PM
    Your instruction manual directs you to the plate on the unit. It will tell you what amperage and wire to use. You gave us no load details. BTW, it is 240VAC.
    DonCutolo Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Aug 25, 2014, 02:13 PM
    Thank you for your responses. I am going to have an electrician come out and do the work, better safe than sorry.
    Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Walk in freezer high pressure switch keeps cutting out [ 0 Answers ]

Have cleaned the coil, and whilst checking the high side found the pressure to be about 150 psi... on R404 I thought that was a little low.. thought it shoul be about 250 psi.. on the low side was OK giving @-25 at the read pressure... any ideas what else this could be... although I did notice...

Used to walk regularly for 7kms now I am trying to get conceive. Can I continue walk? [ 1 Answers ]

Everyday I used to walk for 7kms . Now I am trying to get conceive can I continue my walk?

Amana bottom-freezer refrigerator: freezer cold, fridge warm. Solution! [ 0 Answers ]

Surprised! Embarrassed! My wife had accidentally covered the return vent under the bottom left drawer. I didn't catch it until much later. Thanks to any who tried to help. Bruce Hi everyone, Freezer cold. Removed freezer inside back panel. No excess frost on evaporator. Air duct...

Amana bottom-freezer refrigerator: fridge not cold, freezer is frosty! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone! I have a slightly over a year old Amana bottom-freezer refrigerator (model #: ABR1922FES). Yesterday, I noticed that the fridge wasn't as cold as it should be, so I turned the temp control cooler, and then, as per the owner's manual, waited 24 hours for it to kick in. It didn't....

View more questions Search