Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dede2008 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2014, 10:05 AM
    Time for an upgrade in the building?
    What can I do in Massachusetts if my landlord has been trying to fix it twice in the last 5 days but he isn't sure where/what the problem is or is coming from so he will be back in another 5 days (no explanation as to why he can't return until Friday and today is Monday)... to try the lighting in another room, in the mean time we only have 1/2 of the apartment working and its getting a little tiresome working with lanterns :-( He won't hire an electrician because he knows electrical work I'm told. The other 3 apts. In my building are all okay. I think it's my historical home - time for an upgrade in the building?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 25, 2014, 10:43 AM
    So you have electricity to approximately 1/2 the apartment. Do you have any 240 volt appliances that do not work (water heater, stove, etc.). How big is 1/2? Could it be just one circuit?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 25, 2014, 11:45 AM
    Tell your landlord that a licensed electrician is required to work on electrical services within an apartment and before he burns the place down he needs to get one onsite.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2014, 12:01 PM
    Contact the building department in your town. If your landlord is creating a dangerous or hazardous condition by not making necessary repairs, the building official can fine him until he does...
    If that doesn't work, call the mayor...go to city hall..become a squeeky wheel..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What does a building manager charge for a condo building per issue? [ 0 Answers ]

We would like to hire a building manager for our condo complex. We already have a property management company, but they only look after the financial budgeting. We need someone to attend to any problems with the building like noise complaints, landscaping on a per call basis or a regular fixed...

What does a building manager charge for on call serices for a condo building? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been asked by a property management company what I would charge to a condo board for on call resolve to building maintenance problems, noise complaints etc. They want to be charged per issue. Some things would require going on site to meet the trades and some issues could be resolved by...

Rights to tennants living in an apt building for a long time [ 4 Answers ]

I have A question my mom has lived in her building for over 18 years.. can her rent change.and should she be signing a lease.. shes.paid the same amount.new owner raised her rent up 50 dollars.then a new guy is managing the building.and raised another 20 dollars.she was paying rent and...

View more questions Search