Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jpasse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2014, 10:56 AM
    Adding a light switch to a circuit
    I have two pull chain lights that I want to add a switch to. It looks like the main power line runs to light 1 then feeds light 2 where the wire terminates. I want to add the switch to light 1 and leave light 2 as it is - a pull string. I am changing light one to a recessed light. How do I wire this?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 23, 2014, 12:19 PM
    You would run a two conductor cable (2 conductor with ground) from the first light fixture to where you want the switch.
    At the light fixture, put a piece of black tape on the white wire to designate it as a hot conductor. Disconnect the black wire of the light fixture from the two black wires coming from the ceiling. Connect the white wire (with black tape) to the two black wire from the ceiling. Connect the new black wire to the black wire to the light fixture.

At the switch, put black tape on the white wire. Connect both wires to the switch.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 23, 2014, 03:24 PM
    Under current code, neutral needs to be present at the switch outlet. Because of that you need to use a three wire feed from the light to the switch.

Connect the black feed to the light to the black to the switch. Connect the red to the black to the light. Red is the return from the switch.

Connect the white from the switch to the white for the circuit and then cap off the white at the switch.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding light to existing circuit. [ 2 Answers ]

I installed a bathroom vent fan and light to an existing circuit. I spliced into the circuit between the switch and existing vanity light. Now when the switch is on the original vanity light comes on but the new light is off. When the switch is off the original light is off but the new fan and...

Adding a light kit to ceiling fan w/ light & dimmer switch [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to add a light kit to a ceiling fan(cannot find a name on it) that is currently hooked and working up in our family room - since we moved in 6 years ago (house was built in 1991). I would like this to operate like our bedroom ceiling fan (which already has a light attached) and...

Adding a second light to an existing circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to add a light into an existing circuit. There is a light wired to a switch, and the light is at the bottom of my basement stairs. The new light is at the top of the stairs. I was thinking I could run the wire for the new light to the existing switch, which is at the top of the stairs....

Adding a switch to an existing circuit [ 10 Answers ]

Hello! I have 3 separate pull chain lights in my furnace room all tied to the same cirucuit. I want to install 3 light fixtures and a wall switch. I located where the main power wire comes in and want to connect my wall switch there. How do I wire the wall switch to the that line? Thank you!

Adding a light circuit [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am having a problem with a new light circuit that I am trying to install and am hoping someone with fresh eyes can tell me what I am doing wrong. What I am trying to do is add two lights and a switch in my attic. I am adding a junction off an existing light circuit (only three lights...

View more questions Search