Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jim P Corbett Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2014, 08:41 AM
    Lighting Hookup
    How can I run separate light and switches in separate rooms using the one power source at the least expense? Can this be completed with 14-2 wire?

Jim
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 22, 2014, 10:55 AM
    This is a fairly straight forward project. First, is the source circuit a 15 or a 20 amp circuit? The answer will determine the size of the cable to use,

Second, if the source circuit will supply power at the first fixture with a switch loop to a wall switch (or pull chain), then all you need do is connect the new circuit to the existing circuit, provide a feed to the 2nd. Light and either select a fixture with a pull chain or use a switch loop to feed a switch and then return to the light.

Very basic and very simple to accomplish if you know what you are doing. However, if you are a complete novice, my suggestions are to either hire a licensed electrician or at the very least get a book on residential wiring and study up on how to do the work.

Remember, under no circumstances should this work be done on a live circuit, make sure you shut off the correct circuit breaker.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2014, 11:23 AM
    simple answer is, yes. 14/2 is good for a 15 ampere circuit. Try to plan how many lights and receptacles to connect to this one circuit as capacity is limited. Also be thrifty, don't be cheap...that is don't cut corners, be safe.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heater shuts off without lighting or lighting for a brief moment [ 1 Answers ]

The aire flo heater starts normally, when the igniter lights it stays lit for a few seconds and then the furnace shuts down. I have observed this several times. Once, the gas did ignite but only weakly and briefly (1 second) then it shut down. I'm not sure what part needs replacing. The furnace...

Need light fixture for a obsoleted Progress Lighting 3 circuit track lighting system [ 1 Answers ]

I have an operating Progress Lighting 3 circuit tracking system that has one broken light fixture of its seven fixtures that are still operating.I need a replacement fixture since one is broken. Where can I try to get one? Thanks, Tom Madison

Pilot is lighting on home heater but no hot air and pilot is lighting but it continue [ 0 Answers ]

Here is my problem The hot air is not coming out from a/c ven Heat was working two days ago Pilot works but it starts then goes out or low then starts again but gas to burner doesn't start main burners for heater Tried circuit breaker and on/off switch and pilot screw adjust which did not...

View more questions Search