Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Leonsaitam75 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2014, 04:53 AM
    Can I move from a 12 gauge to a 14 gauge between light switches
    I'm installing recess lighting in one of my bedrooms, the circuit is 20a but can I move to a 14-3 gauge between light switches..
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 22, 2014, 05:21 AM
    No. All conductors in a circuit must not be rated lower than the circuit breaker.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2014, 07:33 AM
    20 amp circuits must use 12 gauge copper...
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2014, 10:26 PM
    Are you tapping into an outlet circuit?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I connect 14 gauge wire to a light fixture that came with 16 gauge wire [ 4 Answers ]

Can I connect 14 gauge wire to a light fixture that came with 16 gauge wire. This is for lighting in a outside shed.

I ran 6 gauge wire from my breaker then connected to 10 gauge to my hot tub [ 1 Answers ]

I had a hot tub that ran with 10 gage wire. I bought a new one and was told Run 6 Gage from breaker to a sub panel. I was told I could use my 10 Gage Wire I already have in place. Is this true

Drove the cooling high hot gauge and back to normal gauge problems? [ 0 Answers ]

Overheating problem and smell combustion gasses with the cooling. What is problem from ?

1991 Honda Civic Tack, water gauge, fuel gauge problem? [ 2 Answers ]

My tack, fuel gauge and water temp gauge all went to zero. I could not find any fuzes that were out. Is there anything that would provide power to these three items?

Can I attach a 14 gauge light into a 12 gauge circuit [ 3 Answers ]

Is it acceptable to attach a 14 gauge light in a 12 gauge 20 amp circuit? I am finishing my basement and using 12 gauge wire throughout. When I bought my light fixtures, they are wire with 14 gauge wire. Is it safe to use these or do I need to get different light fixtures?

View more questions Search